Building a pc

Started by Joshly98, July 14, 2012, 18:57

mrtrlt

Quote from: DJ_Smashon on July 17, 2012, 18:41
I recommend 7000 series AMD cards. Don't buy 6000 They're soon getting old. :P

hey! I have a 4900 xD

then again. My system's growing on 3 years old now D:

RaceRX

get an i5 2500k, with a asus motherboard, asus or gigabyte or HIS 7850 or 7870 graphics card, atleast a mid tower case. (if you get a mid tower you might have to get the 7850), 16 gigs of ram is ideal, but 8 will do, get about 720watt psu, and depending on how much stuff you have on your computer, get the size hdd you think you need. i have a 620, and a 320 as a backup drive. But, most gaming rigs that are set up correctly have a 1tb. Oh, and a CPU cooler and heatsync wouldnt be a bad idea. Also, steal a CD drive from an old computer. that whole build would cost you around $900 - 1000. or, you can clone my build. works great, $650. no after market cooler, and i had the hdd and CD drive. wish i got a better graphics card. i have a 6850 asus, 990x gigabyte motherboard, 960t AMD cpu (intel is much better, i5 was my first choice but they sold out when i was building.) 720 seasonic PSU, rosewill destroyer case (MID TOWER), and 620 + 320gb hdd, and a recycled CD drive.

All USD pricing. im sure itll cost you more. So, basically, set up an AMD build probally, and paste the parts youre gonna get here before you order them. and, use newegg.com.
playing since 2010, moderator for over a year demoted for being an ass to an asshole then banned for speed hack then returned for awhile then dipped out

Nice

Rockey

Quote from: Dan_Nobleman on July 18, 2012, 01:00
Quote from: rockey96 on July 18, 2012, 00:04
Quote from: Dan_Nobleman on July 17, 2012, 23:51
^^^ I am also 15, but I know more.

My build, of course:
Case: Corsair 800D
CPU: Intel i7-3960x 6core (12 threaded) OCed to 4.8 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage Extreme IV
GPU: 3x ASUS  3GB 1GHz Reference 7970s (Replaced with custom watercooling blocks)
SSD: 4x Corsair ForceGT 240GB In RAID 0
HDD: 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0

Time to correct

1. Full tower cases are nice, and can be used throughout a few builds, I personally recommend only getting full towers because of how much room you have.
2.  AMD CPUs are not recommended for actual gaming PC builds, since they just create horrible bottlenecks. If you're only going to play SAMP, go for it.
3. Cheap power supplies have horrible capacitors and voltage regulators, now you should always look for respected brands, because they have a lesser chance of providing dirty electricity.
4. More storage is always better, Don't just settle for a 200 gb POS HDD, get a high density Caviar Black 1 TB HDD. They perform great, have wonderful reliability, and has Western Digital's reputation backing it.
5. Caring about boot-time is just stupid. Sure, SSDs can be wonderful for bootdrives, and for gaming, but if you overuse it, say, using it as a gigantic page file, you're wasting your money, it'll just burn a hole in your pocket.
6. Don't get a watercooling kit, they don't exactly perform any better than some air coolers, If you want to do watercooling, make a custom loop, it might cost more, but it actually is worth it. Look into getting a Hyper 212 EVO or something.
7. Almost any motherboard can handle two graphics cards, but look specifically for ones that say "SLI Supported" or "CrossfireX Supported", or else you really can't run SLI or Crossfire. Also, there are (Intel) motherboards that can support running x16 x16 x8 configurations, but the difference between x8 and x16 is not noticeable.
8. There are markings on the CPU itself, and on the motherboard, examine it carefully, if you put it in wrong, you basically broke it.

I was not trying to state im some sort of expert  :D but just giving my views on things, also about amd not being for gaming is a load of horse shiat, I run bf3 with 40fps on max setting on my pc, your telling me thats not gaming? i know intel is better but on a budget amd is better as intel cost a bomb.

40FPS isn't anything of gaming quality. I can push 100FPS easily @ 2560x1600

Maybe... but i bet your build cost was alot more, and from what i am aware the eye can only see around 30fps so why the hell do you need 100fps.. i maybe wrong there but thats what i have been told :)

TheSandman

25/8/11 - 4/10/15: 1502 days of continuous staff duty C:-)

Vinny

But fraps sees 100 Fps :D
I need a high fps for recording  I can only reach ~40 fps atm ...
And a fast computer to edit and render my videos faster.
Quote from: Spekter on December 13, 2016, 22:47
Quote from: Ethan on December 13, 2016, 22:31
why the fuck do you even bother breathing??
I bother breathing just so that i can tell you what a fucking moron you are, nothing more and nothing less.

Dan_Nobleman

Quote from: TheSandman on July 18, 2012, 11:07
Eye sees 45 fps.

Quote from: rockey96 on July 18, 2012, 11:06
Maybe... but i bet your build cost was alot more, and from what i am aware the eye can only see around 30fps so why the hell do you need 100fps.. i maybe wrong there but thats what i have been told :)

Two contradicting answers.

My point is, there is a HUGE difference between playing a game at 20 FPS, 30 FPS, 40 FPS, 50, FPS, then up to 60 FPS (Since 60hz is a pretty much global monitor refresh rate).

So what if it costs more? It can last you longer, and you're insured that the products will last longer.
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION

Vinny

I have a question, if i buy a laptop with for example 500 Gb HDD, i5 etc ... and only 4 Gb of ram, can i just change the ram without touching/changing the whole system ? Or the ram has to refer to the motherboard, or the processor or... I don't know ... ?
I bother breathing just so that i can tell you what a fucking moron you are, nothing more and nothing less.

mrtrlt

It depends if the motherboard can handle it. Most average stock pcs cannot have their ram upgraded. Ask the manufacturer of the.motherboard or research online.

Mr.Kangaroo

Quote from: Matt[AUS] on July 20, 2012, 01:30
It depends if the motherboard can handle it. Most average stock pcs cannot have their ram upgraded. Ask the manufacturer of the.motherboard or research online.
I dont get it.. :O
Gold iPhone 5S - Silver iPad Air

Nate

Here is a starting point since I see a lot of misleading information on here. I5 3570k CPU. Cooler master hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler. Then a corsair psu. As for a mother board get z77 chipset. Some mobo makers I prefer: asus, asrock, gigabyte always make good quality boards. 8gb (2x4gb dual channel) of ram. Never a good idea to load down the mobo with all 4 slots of ram.

This will give you a solid foundation for your system. From there you can get what ever video card is within your budget. I prefer NVIDIA after I lost all respect for amd after the 7000 series. But you choose what ever you want (don't let people tell you one company is better and DO NOT believe the NVIDIA fanboys that say amd drivers suck. It's just bs.)

Always get a good cpu because CPU technology is so far ahead of Gpu technology right now that you will have to upgrade your gpu long before the CPU. My 2 cents.

Edit: don't waste money for an I7. They don't boost game performance enough to be worth it and generally are used for video editing pc's because of the Hyper threading.
New (newer) laptop specs[spoiler]Laptop: Acer Aspire v3-571g-6602
Cpu: i5 2450M 2.5 GHz (3.1 GHz Boost)
Gpu: Nvidia GT 630m 2gb
Ram: 8gb dual channel DDR3 1600mhz
HDD: 500gb
[/spoiler]

Nate

Here's a fun fact to end the arguement from above: the human eye is only capable of seeing 62 fps. So don't strive to get 100 fps in games because its just a waste of money
[/spoiler]

droctogonapus

Quote from: Nate on July 20, 2012, 03:48
Here's a fun fact to end the arguement from above: the human eye is only capable of seeing 62 fps. So don't strive to get 100 fps in games because its just a waste of money
more like a waste of computer resources.  Not a waste of money

╭━━━━━━━━━╮╭┓┈┈┏╮
┃┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┃┃╰╮╭╯┃(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Fuck Tables.
┃┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┃╰━┓┏━╯ 
┃┈┈┈┈┈-●┈┈┈╰━━╯┃
┣━━━━━━╯┈┈┈┈┈┈┃
╰━━━━━━━━━━━━━╯
Its a whale.  Computer Specs[spoiler]
Video card: Asus AMD R9 270 + Gigabyte GeForce GT 620 1 GB (Physx Card)
CPU: AMD FX 6300
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black 7200rpm
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus
PSU: Corsair Professional Series HX650 Modular Power Supply
Memory: Amd Radeon Entertainment Series 16GB DDR3 1600 CL9[/spoiler]

Nate

Quote from: droctogonapus on July 20, 2012, 04:58
Quote from: Nate on July 20, 2012, 03:48
more like a waste of computer resources.  Not a waste of money

Waste of money if you go buy a Gtx 690 to use on a single 1080p monitor and achieve 100 fps... but yes waste of computer resources as well. /fpslimit FTW
[/spoiler]

Nate

Quote from: Vinny on July 19, 2012, 22:12
I have a question, if i buy a laptop with for example 500 Gb HDD, i5 etc ... and only 4 Gb of ram, can i just change the ram without touching/changing the whole system ? Or the ram has to refer to the motherboard, or the processor or... I don't know ... ?

Every laptop i know can have the ram upgraded and its really simple to do. Give me your laptop name and i can make sure it's possible.
[/spoiler]

Vinny

I don't have it yet xD im just asking.