making a program default for a file

Started by Ethan, September 05, 2014, 18:59

Ethan

It was working before but since I moved all my small programs for GTA type files, the default program to open some dont seem to register anymore.. like a txd file wont automatically open txd  workshop, or the gta3 img wont automatically open spark anymore. But when I go the the files properties and try and manually pick a program, browse to it and then try to choose it, it wont show up...
I really dont want to do anything in the resistry.. hopefully it wont come to that

So im asking how do I permanently add a program to open up a specific file.... 

Twido

http://superuser.com/questions/289187/how-to-add-program-to-every-single-files-open-with-list

Read this:
Short answer is: with great difficulty.
Longer answer:
In the registry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT you'll find an entry for each registered file extension. You need to add a key called "OpenWithProdids" to each file extension that you want to handle. Within this key you then need a string value where the name is the ProgId for the HxD.
There is a much easier way, however.

If you put a shortcut to HxD in
C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo, then for ANY file in the system you can right-click, and then pick Send To->HxD from the context menu.

[hide= Just a rule]
Quote from: Mick88
Your friends do not have the authority to allow you to break server rules. ๖ۣۜTωi∂✿
[/hide]

Ethan

how can I do it without regedit or HxD?

Emily

Also fixed the topic title... Yes. I'm a bit OCD, but default isn't spelled defualt
Funny part is I was using a students PC for this snip xD
With all the windows OS's you can right click, open with, and select choose default program.
[hide=IMG of default program for reference]
[/hide]
make sure check box is checked, and you can either use the drop down list (where the arrow is) or the browse button
[dobby]

LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION

Ethan

I do that Emily but the program I want to use does not come up in that dialog of optional software to use

consider defualt a typo :P

Dobby

Then click browse. Find the .exe program and profit like crazy.
Quote from: mick88 on May 24, 2015, 21:39
FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!

Emily

Quote from: Chewbacca on September 05, 2014, 21:11
Then click browse. Find the .exe program and profit like crazy.
Quote from: Emily on September 05, 2014, 19:43
or the browse button
I think you need reading glasses.
[dobby]

LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION

Ethan

I hit browse, I go to the path in which the program is located, it doesnt set it... you need teamviewer or skype for me to show you that it doesnt work?

and Emily, Ive been wearing glasses since I was 3

Emily

[dobby]

LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN