Non-fluent English speakers and the rules

Started by Joshy, March 28, 2012, 22:43

Joshy

I believe that many players cannot understand the rules (therefore general gamemode too) of CT because they can't read English good enough to understand them. I did some research using the server demographics (of 19/08/11) and Wikipedia statistics of English-speaking populations. I used the 18 most popular countries.

[hide=the countries used]
Romania
Poland
United States
Germany
United Kingdom
Netherlands
Lithuania
Russia
Croatia
Turkey
Hungary
Bulgaria
Czech
Estonia
Canada
France
Spain
Australia
[/hide]
With these countries, I calculated that only 48.8% of the players from all of these countries combined can speak English. Of course since the gamemode is in English, it will attract more English-speaking players than non-English speakers, but still, this does show something.

My suggestion is translating the server and forum rules into the most popular languages, like Romanian, Polish, German, Dutch, Russian (if possible), Croatian and so on. Make a new selection box upon registration (in-game) asking them what language they speak so they will get the right set of rules. Save this value in case of /showrules and /rules, it could be used for statistical purposes too. More players will know the rules, so hopefully less rules being broken.

Of course we will need your help to translate if this does get passed.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English-speaking_population

(note: don't translate yet in case this gets rejected)
(also I have a feeling that a wave of "I can't help that my English is poor" posts is coming)
[comment]test[/comment]
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION
Generated using Azure Functions & CloudFlare Workers using the Convoy Trucking API. Updates every around 5 minutes. See the original SVG image. View source code (not updated with function yet)

Sjomp

nice suggestion +1
but i think this will make more non-englisch in mainchat so maybe if you selected a language you got automatic sended to that cb channel. :D

Supra

It would be good for those who don't speak English, but in my opinion, people have to be able to write and understand English in order to play properly on this server..
And if this would happen, wouldn't some get confused and by mistake believe they are allowed to speak using their native language in the main chat?

Joshy

Quote from: Supra on March 28, 2012, 22:49
It would be good for those who don't speak English, but in my opinion, people have to be able to write and understand English in order to play properly on this server..
And if this would happen, wouldn't some get confused and by mistake believe they are allowed to speak using their native language in the main chat?
Well the rules would say "rule 5) speak English in CB 19 or go to /cb" in their language, perhaps includes their languages CB number in the rules for reference.
[comment]test[/comment]
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION
Generated using Azure Functions & CloudFlare Workers using the Convoy Trucking API. Updates every around 5 minutes. See the original SVG image. View source code (not updated with function yet)

Matheus

People from my country (Brazil) doesn't have a good english...Can you please add it to your idea? Its going to be better even for me, because my english isn't that good too..

Thanks!

Matias

You know what would be good, that when anyone join for first time the server, it ask him which language he talk. When the language is choosed all texts from server are wrote in his language, but its alot of work for mick.
If just the rules are setted to they language it will work i guess so +1, its a good suggestion :)

Also mick there is an include around SA-MP forums to traslate gamemode texts, just to let you know, maybe you can use it, i dont remember the name of it :(

Deff

Jopi

If you write rules on Croatian..Bosnian,Serbian,Slovenian,Macedonian too can use it :)  Because we have almost the same languge :D

:cereal:

Random_Hero

I like this idea a lot, +1 from me.

I also like what DarkMati mentioned. It would be a great idea to have an in-game translation system, but it definitely would be difficult to make and would probably cause some sort of lag. Maybe a way to resolute this situation would be to make a translation system, but have it as a mod that can be downloaded from the site? Not sure what type of mod it would be.. maybe a CLEO, but it would be a good idea if easy enough and possible.

+1 from me, good suggestion Joshy.

Neon$lash

that would be a nice idea. i tought about that. i support this. event tho i know a lot of english would help a lot of non english speakers. +1

[hide=The Best Progressive Rock you can Hear]Feel The Crimson King

In the Court of the Crimson King - In the Wake of Poseidon - Lizard - Islands
Larks' Tongues in Aspic - Starless and Bible Black - Red - Discipline
Beat - Three of a Perfect Pair - THRAK - The ConstruKction of Light -The Power to Believe

$nake

Big +1, but I will still use ENGLISH CT Version :)

Something from my FB:

[hide=All Comments][/hide]

Deff

Quote from: $nake on March 29, 2012, 09:14
Big +1, but I will still use ENGLISH CT Version :)

There won't be a different version.
Only the set of rules would be different.

mr.hilly

Quote from: Deff on March 28, 2012, 23:37
More players = More fun!
correct More players more fun thats AND More LAAAAGS so +1 but to i didnt lag i will walk  :trollface:

Lindsey

View my news story : http://www.forum.convoytrucking.net/index.php/topic,39051.new.html#new
[hide=awesomeness]
Lindsey ~ Sticking up for the little guy - http://www.forum.convoytrucking.net/index.php/topic,39070.0.html
Quote[21:11:49] Lindsey_[UK] managed to steal Alpha
[21:11:49] Lindsey_[UK] left the server (exit)
[21:12:17] * ExAdmin Lindsey_[UK] (41) connected: I will report you, count on it
[21:12:22] <krisu> that was good linds :D
Quote from: brane on June 06, 2013, 10:53
Quote from: Lindsey on June 06, 2013, 08:37
Terror, youve been on your last warning for stuff on ct for like a year so I dont feel treatened by you
Buuuuuuuuuurn

[/hide]

Blackhawk