Laptop crashed (need to recover files)

Started by TheGame, June 18, 2016, 13:30

TheGame

Hey guys,

Unfortunately my laptop died after 6 years (My gawd, that has been quite some time  :'(). Well, I guess it is broken.. When I start it up, I get a black screen, some lights (wifi and something else) don't go on, video card is as good as broken and the list goes on...

I did not expect this at all, but the problem is.. my files are still on it. How do I recover those files?

Let me know if I have to buy something for it (specify it).

My laptop model: Packard Bell EasyNote TK85 JN 227

Could someone explain it to me step by step (I iz nub with dis)? Do not link me to some shit ''let me google that for you'' link.

Thanks for your help!  ;)

TheSandman

Best way would be take the hard drive out of it, and plug it into another computer using a caddy to back it up elsewhere. Then put the hdd back into the laptop and reset/recover windows as normal.

You need something like this.

We have them in my city like this.
25/8/11 - 4/10/15: 1502 days of continuous staff duty C:-)

TheGame

Quote from: TheSandman on June 18, 2016, 13:41
Best way would be take the hard drive out of it, and plug it into another computer using a caddy to back it up elsewhere. Then put the hdd back into the laptop and reset/recover windows as normal.

You need something like this.

We have them in my city like this.
Thanks, guess I try that out tomorrow.

Do you think it is worth reinstalling windows? I mean, the video card is as good as broken and so is the battery. The laptop is 6 years old and perhaps buying a new one is better. Do not think this one will last a lot longer.

I think I want to buy a new one with a way better graphics card and that kind of stuff. Any suggestions? I have got 500 euros to spend. Or is it better to build one with decent parts? I am a nub with building computers though...

Vinny

Thats quite expensive for something that could be done using a desktop computer with sata connections, use a desktop computer with a little free space or find someone with available sata slots on his desktop computer and you will save 26$ i guess, then do an image backup of the hard drive, Macrium Reflect is a good tool for that, then I guess you could wipe the disk and try to reinstall windows on the laptop with no worries since you'll have a backup of your files. If that doesn't help i guess other parts of the laptop are damaged but at least you'll have your data saved.
Quote from: Spekter on December 13, 2016, 22:47
Quote from: Ethan on December 13, 2016, 22:31
why the fuck do you even bother breathing??
I bother breathing just so that i can tell you what a fucking moron you are, nothing more and nothing less.

Shock

Depends on your needs. If you need something for school and casual use get a laptop with a decent processor and storage. If you are planning on gaming or some kind of work that needs desktop performance get a pc. I'd recommend you to wait untill AMD releases their new processor lineup cause the prices will go down alot. You'd be able to build a medium gaming rig with that cash
Quote from: Dux on April 22, 2017, 06:22First of all!! You are not supposed as an admin to check chatlogs!!

Hobo

Quote from: Shock on June 18, 2016, 19:29
Depends on your needs. If you need something for school and casual use get a laptop with a decent processor and storage. If you are planning on gaming or some kind of work that needs desktop performance get a pc. I'd recommend you to wait untill AMD releases their new processor lineup cause the prices will go down alot. You'd be able to build a medium gaming rig with that cash
Also wait for the new AMD GPUs to be released.

[tr]
[td]

[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]

[shadow=black,left]My PC Specs:
-AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
-EVGA RTX 3080
-ASUS Prime X470-Pro Motherboard
-CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB RAM
-ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD 960GB
-Seagate IronWolf Pro 8TB HDD
-Western Digital Blue 2TB HDD
-ADATA Ultimate SU800 2TB SDD x2
-ADATA Ultimate SU800 1TB SSD x2
-Corsair HX750 Professional PSU
-NZXT H440 white/black case
[/shadow]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

TheSandman

Quote from: Vinny on June 18, 2016, 16:46
Thats quite expensive for something that could be done using a desktop computer with sata connections, use a desktop computer with a little free space or find someone with available sata slots on his desktop computer and you will save 26$ i guess, then do an image backup of the hard drive, Macrium Reflect is a good tool for that, then I guess you could wipe the disk and try to reinstall windows on the laptop with no worries since you'll have a backup of your files. If that doesn't help i guess other parts of the laptop are damaged but at least you'll have your data saved.
It is expensive but the cost could outweigh the repairs if TG makes a mistake (i know itll be hard to make one) i only based it off the fact he knows nothing about building/pc components. I too wouldve just thrown it in using sata but i went with someone relatively simple.
25/8/11 - 4/10/15: 1502 days of continuous staff duty C:-)

Shock

Quote from: Hobo on June 19, 2016, 00:49
Quote from: Shock on June 18, 2016, 19:29
Also wait for the new AMD GPUs to be released.
Yea 200$ for a great gpu is sweet
Quote from: Dux on April 22, 2017, 06:22First of all!! You are not supposed as an admin to check chatlogs!!

TheGame

Currently I have got this laptop;
HP Pavillon 17 (17 inch)
8GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 64-bits, x64-processor, AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics 2.00 GHz

Is this good enough to run ETS2 (On high?) or any higher specs games (like GTA V)?

If this one isn't that great for gaming, could someone suggest one which is decent enough to run ets2 (and games like that) on high specs for less than 500 euros?

It's my school laptop, but it is too big to carry every single day.. :p Thinking about buying a cheaper laptop for school, but I need to know if this laptop is decent enough for gaming.