Website suggestion thread

Started by mick88, April 23, 2015, 18:47

mick88

I may or may not be mobilizing a crack commando of best web developers to port the current website to Django framework.
This thread is to post any suggestions for changes you would like to see, or comments which functionalities on current website you don't care for, or really like.

Approved suggestions:

• Interactive map
  • Persisting user session (already handled by Django)
  • List of vehicles for sale by players (Used car dealership)
  • Set custom welcomemessage/rank in preferences

Joshy

interactive map. see source (ctrl+u) of https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32336900/map.html (yes the gangzones are hardcoded).
[comment]test[/comment]
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION
Generated using Azure Functions & CloudFlare Workers using the Convoy Trucking API. Updates every around 5 minutes. See the original SVG image. View source code (not updated with function yet)

Rahail

I would love to see stats of players(which currently mods/admins can see) where it shows who has most artic and dumper missions etc... for public. Also maps should be updated. There's no Milestone and Sandus Key.

Xero

What about the ability to talk to people from the server to the website? I have no idea what anything means anymore, all I know is changes to website functions. People get on this lol  :like:

Dobby

Quote from: Xero on April 23, 2015, 23:34
What about the ability to talk to people from the server to the website? I have no idea what anything means anymore, all I know is changes to website functions. People get on this lol  :like:

Already exists sort of. Admins can do this already to a certain degree
Quote from: mick88 on May 24, 2015, 21:39
FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!

CarlJohnson

Can we have sessions saved in cookies? Just like Facebook, etc so, our connection won't be randomly lost/timed out.
It's really annoying that you have enter your details every time you wanna check a player stats or when you refresh the page after 10-15 mins.
I hope it's not something that difficult or we can drop this idea.
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN

Dobby

I'm all for moving from $_SESSION to $_COOKIE. We can set it down to specific pages, or all of them. That's PHP based though and ive not really looked at the current source code. The framework(s) CT's switching to/adopting has it.

Edit: Mick, if there's any staff section suggestions can i be made aware of them at least? since i'm no longer mod, it'd be nice to still do stuff for the staff team however. Via PM if you like preferably since i get emails when i get PM'd
FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!

mick88

@Dobby, you should have access to the web dev board, you can post there

sorin

You should remove the "San Andreas News" from site, the last post there was in 2012 no one seems to care about it anymore.

CarlJohnson

Quote from: Sorin on April 25, 2015, 07:08
You should remove the "San Andreas News" from site, the last post there was in 2012 no one seems to care about it anymore.

I think it's already done.
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN

Baron[DTU]

If i want to bring a new life to san andreas news, who do i need to contact?

Dobby

Likely Migs, DeHavilland or R16RACA since they're on the "about us" page.

AMG

the Convoy Trucking app for Android will ever be updated ?
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION
Generated by ASP.NET Core on Linux using the Convoy Trucking API. Updates every 5 minutes. See the original SVG image.

mick88

Quote from: AMG on April 25, 2015, 15:02
the Convoy Trucking app for Android will ever be updated ?
Yes, it will have to be redone after the website update.

Benny

I would like to see a more modern look to it.
And it would be nice if you could see a picture of a vehicle in House and vehicles menu or even the posibility to upload your own pocture of your car, and a more detailed statistic.
And the map should be updated as well.
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
DISTANCE TRAVELLED

Ethan

I also would like to see the map updated if at all possible.. I did the top speed of all the cars in MPH and KPH before, I still have it if you want it... If the vehicle is buyable at a car dealer, I tested it.. Note that any added vehicles after 2012 are not listed, neither are the RC vehicles or (pedal) bikes..

CarlJohnson

Quote from: Benny on April 27, 2015, 21:15
I would like to see a more modern look to it.
And it would be nice if you could see a picture of a vehicle in House and vehicles menu or even the posibility to upload your own pocture of your car, and a more detailed statistic.
And the map should be updated as well.
Benny can you briefly explain what sort of modern look ?
And I don't really think there's some need to add pictures of car in player property menu, it'll just take up more resources (probably?).
More detailed statistic ? Like what ?
And don't worry about map, it's already been added up in approved suggestion ;)
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN

Ethan

look here: http://www.convoytrucking.net/index.php
probably something more modern rather than black and white borders..  and
Quote from: CarlJohnson on April 28, 2015, 05:03
where are these approved suggestions you speak of?.. oh, probably a board I cant see?  web dev /= development team?
(/= does not equal)

Dobby

Most likely bitbucket repo that's private.

Its also != Think of == being equal to while != not equal to etc.

Ethan

is there a web development board?.... cause I cant see that, but yes... could be bitbucket thing

CarlJohnson

Quote from: Ethan on April 28, 2015, 16:11
look here: http://www.convoytrucking.net/index.php
probably something more modern rather than black and white borders..  and
Quote from: CarlJohnson on April 28, 2015, 05:03
where are these approved suggestions you speak of?.. oh, probably a board I cant see?  web dev /= development team?
(/= does not equal)
Eh wasn't that easy ?
And Yes Dev Team != Web Dev Team
Quote from: mick88 on April 23, 2015, 18:47

Approved suggestions:

• Interactive map
  • Persisting user session (already handled by Django)
Quote from: Ethan on April 28, 2015, 16:23
is there a web development board?.... cause I cant see that, but yes... could be bitbucket thing
Look in Dev Board, there's something about it.
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN

Deff

My suggestions:

Suggestion one:
Dynamic pages, there shouldn't be a need to refresh whole page, ajax requests are cool.

Suggestion two:
Vehicle trading system should be done from browser too! We should be able to see who has put this vehicle, how much is it tuned?, what are the wheel types (stock or ?) and things like that in the browser (basically all details of the vehicle) and then we can browse and buy. Default pictures can be used. (custom pictures would be hard to implement, it has lot of issues, players have different car mods and graphic mods, so default is good)

Suggestion three:
Replacing shoutbox on the forum with a full time chatbox which should be available on the website as well as forum, we should be able to PM on chatbox too and use cb channels like ingame chat.

Searching of a player is already awesome and rest everything is cool!

sorin

And maybe a new house catalogue too.   :OK:

mick88

Quote from: Deff on April 28, 2015, 17:01
Suggestion one:
Dynamic pages, there shouldn't be a need to refresh whole page, ajax requests are cool.

Suggestion two:
Vehicle trading system should be done from browser too! We should be able to see who has put this vehicle, how much is it tuned?, what are the wheel types (stock or ?) and things like that in the browser (basically all details of the vehicle) and then we can browse and buy. Default pictures can be used. (custom pictures would be hard to implement, it has lot of issues, players have different car mods and graphic mods, so default is good)

Suggestion three:
Replacing shoutbox on the forum with a full time chatbox which should be available on the website as well as forum, we should be able to PM on chatbox too and use cb channels like ingame chat.

New chat will use ajax and fetch messages from chat API, but it's not implemented yet. It will be read-only because there's some technical and management issues with two-way chat, one of them is moderation; how do we mute/kick someone posting from the website? Also messages could be flooding in, but maybe separate cb channel for those who want to talk with users from website could be implemented.
If you have the technical knowledge, you can apply for web dev team. There is a lot of work so we could use some help.

Traded vehicles will also have their own page, but it will be read-only as it would be too difficult to reliably sync vehicle data and player data across website and server; I think driving to the log to see and purchase vehicle is more realistic and more fun.

@Sorin, what's wrong with current house catalogue? Can you make a more specific suggestion?
http://test.convoytrucking.net/houses/forsale

CarlJohnson

How about adding an field for changing welcome message from website itself ? From Player Preferences page, it's quite annoying to retype the whole message if you missed or miss-spelt a word. Would be much easier through website because #copypaste and #edit
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN

mick88

This topic is now locked, I updated my top post with the suggestions which I am going to implement.
Any other suggestions should be posted in a new thread - please add [website] tag.