Need some help/opinions on what laptop to choose

Started by Shake, December 06, 2014, 19:36

Shake

I got two laptops I can afford so I can play while away from home, but don't know which one can be the best in terms of performance, so I'm here to get some opinions/help on which one I should get.

Laptop 1 (599€):

Acer E5-551G-F361

• AMD FX-7500 (Quad-Core) - 2.1GHz, Boost 3.3GHz
  • Radeon R7 265 (2GB)
  • 8GB RAM
  • 500GB HDD

Laptop 2 (599€):

Acer E5-571G-57D9

• Intel Core i5-4210U (Dual-Core) - 1.7GHz, Boost 2.7GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce 840M (2GB)
  • 6GB RAM
  • 500GB HDD

I've heard the first laptop is decent for gaming, but also heard that the second one is better, mainly because it has a better GPU.
I'd appreciate your opinion on which one I should get for this price. I saw another one for 745€, but I'm saving up the rest of the money for other stuff, mainly desktop parts. Thanks.

COLBYLICIOUS

Shake

Quote from: Sidiuu. on December 06, 2014, 19:39
Laptop 2.
Thanks but, based on what? I'd also appreciate some opinions on why Laptop X is better than Laptop Y.

Supreme

For games overall laptop #2 since it has a better video card, RAM won't be a bottleneck (not for me atleast).
For Source games (CPU intensive) laptop #1.

Shake

Quote from: Supreme on December 06, 2014, 20:18
For games overall laptop #2 since it has a better video card, RAM won't be a bottleneck (not for me atleast).
For Source games (CPU intensive) laptop #1.
I'll mainly play CSGO (yes, finally surpm), possibly GTA V (depending on the specs), and other games which don't really ask for much.

Hobo

Number #2

The Intel CPU is better than the AMD one. The i5 is a dual core, but it has hyperthreading.
The 840m is going to be about the same or slightly better than the R7 265.
6GB of RAM is probably enough and you might be able to upgrade that if you really needed to.

[tr]
[td]

[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]

[shadow=black,left]My PC Specs:
-AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
-EVGA RTX 3080
-ASUS Prime X470-Pro Motherboard
-CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB RAM
-ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD 960GB
-Seagate IronWolf Pro 8TB HDD
-Western Digital Blue 2TB HDD
-ADATA Ultimate SU800 2TB SDD x2
-ADATA Ultimate SU800 1TB SSD x2
-Corsair HX750 Professional PSU
-NZXT H440 white/black case
[/shadow]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Shake

Quote from: Hobo on December 06, 2014, 20:53
Number #2

The Intel CPU is better than the AMD one. The i5 is a dual core, but it has hyperthreading.
6GB of RAM is probably enough and you might be able to upgrade that if you really needed to.
What I originally thought is that the CPU would be weaker since it had 1.7GHz and being a dual-core. I have seen plenty of benchmarks with the first laptop and they were sort-of good, didn't see any "high-end" benchmarks on the second one, though.

Hobo

Quote from: Shake on December 06, 2014, 22:27
Number #2

What I originally thought is that the CPU would be weaker since it had 1.7GHz and being a dual-core. I have seen plenty of benchmarks with the first laptop and they were sort-of good, didn't see any "high-end" benchmarks on the second one, though.
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4210U-vs-AMD-FX-7500

[tr]
[td]

[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]

-AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
-EVGA RTX 3080
[/shadow]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Twido

Quote from: Hobo on December 06, 2014, 22:45
Number #2

Watch out for these Intel vs AMD comparisons Intel payed some motherfuckers to lie about it. And yes cpuboss can be payed.

I would personally go for laptop 1
better cpu & gpu, overall it would win.
Also intel hyperthreading is just creating fucking stupid virtual cores. which aren't usefull.

ps: I detect Intel fanboys here

[hide= Just a rule]
Quote from: Mick88
Your friends do not have the authority to allow you to break server rules. ๖ۣۜTωi∂✿
[/hide]

Hobo

Quote from: Twido on December 06, 2014, 22:57
Quote from: Hobo on December 06, 2014, 22:45
Number #2

Watch out for these Intel vs AMD comparisons Intel payed some motherfuckers to lie about it. And yes cpuboss can be payed.

I would personally go for laptop 1
better cpu & gpu, overall it would win.
Also intel hyperthreading is just creating fucking stupid virtual cores. which aren't usefull.

ps: I detect Intel fanboys here
You can't say hyperthreading is useless when AMD bases their CPUs on virtual cores.
The 840M is newer and slightly better than the R7 265.

PS: Not an Intel fanboy. Just know from experience that Intel CPUs tend to run games better than AMD. Have owned both.

[tr]
[td]

[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]

-AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
-EVGA RTX 3080
[/shadow]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Shake

From what I've seen so far in terms of gameplays and bechmarks, the second laptop outperforms the first one.

Emily

My small input here:

Intel CPUs and GPUs tend to run cooler than AMD (my experience) so unless you have a way to keep the AMD cool, then you will have a hell of a time trying to run demanding games as the AMD will get hot and start lagging.
[dobby]

LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION

Shake

Quote from: Emily on December 07, 2014, 01:47
My small input here:

Intel CPUs and GPUs tend to run cooler than AMD (my experience) so unless you have a way to keep the AMD cool, then you will have a hell of a time trying to run demanding games as the AMD will get hot and start lagging.
I've never had much experience with AMD stuff (except this CPU I currently have which, even though it's super shitty, it can run some games), but I've always been happy with Intel things so far. I don't really have a preference, just whatever runs games better.

Twido

lel.. can't even delete replies. Was gonna say that Intel is useful for 24/7 running.

[hide= Just a rule]
Quote from: Mick88
Your friends do not have the authority to allow you to break server rules. ๖ۣۜTωi∂✿
[/hide]