If a GPU is necessary to get a computer to POST

Started by Calvingreen17., January 22, 2014, 23:39

Calvingreen17.

I received my PC parts today (as well as battlefield4 for free :DDD) and I got straight to building. 4 hours of confusing as shit chords here and here, plugging them in, checking my computer, and suddenly I was finished.

Now before I go any further, I haven't gotten my GPU or HDD yet, but as far as I know, you dont need a HDD to get your computer to POST. Now my computer WILL cut on, the LED light, fans, and everything, it just wont post. I also have a AMD Athlon II X4 760k (lets stick to the thread not "Why shit AMD? Intel is so much better") which will not let you run your PC off of integrated graphics so I require a dedicated graphics card to get any video so I have no idea whether it actually worked or not. Any help with this?

Older and wiser

Dobby

If i'm testing new parts or whatever, i usually leave the HD out. It will POST, but then say a hard drive isn't installed and show me the usual boot selection menu. Everything connected ok? enough power going to it? tried the CMOS trick to reset the BIOS?
Quote from: mick88 on May 24, 2015, 21:39
FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!

Rainbow

Quote from: Calvingreen17. on January 22, 2014, 23:39
I received my PC parts today (as well as battlefield4 for free :DDD) and I got straight to building. 4 hours of confusing as shit chords here and here, plugging them in, checking my computer, and suddenly I was finished.

Now before I go any further, I haven't gotten my GPU or HDD yet, but as far as I know, you dont need a HDD to get your computer to POST. Now my computer WILL cut on, the LED light, fans, and everything, it just wont post. I also have a AMD Athlon II X4 760k (lets stick to the thread not "Why shit AMD? Intel is so much better") which will not let you run your PC off of integrated graphics so I require a dedicated graphics card to get any video so I have no idea whether it actually worked or not. Any help with this?

What gpu and hdd are you getting? Also... Woot you got a free copy of betafield 4  :P

Calvingreen17.

Quote from: Dobby on January 22, 2014, 23:46
If i'm testing new parts or whatever, i usually leave the HD out. It will POST, but then say a hard drive isn't installed and show me the usual boot selection menu. Everything connected ok? enough power going to it? tried the CMOS trick to reset the BIOS?

That's how Newegg did it, so that's how I know it's not the problem. But I feel like I'm doing something wrong with so many cords being left out. Like all of the SATA cords then you got the PCI_E cords, I can't help but wonder if that's the source of the problem. Also I have a 450W PSU from Rosewill so I think it's good enough. Especially since it's missing components lol

Quote from: Rainbow on January 22, 2014, 23:55

What gpu and hdd are you getting? Also... Woot you got a free copy of betafield 4  :P

I'm getting a AMD R9 270 (for Mantle support) and a Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue. And thanks

Older and wiser

Dobby

Take it all apart, connect each thing one by one :), but the main thing you'd need to POST it, is: motherboard, ram, PSU, CPU and whatever display you're using. Try this: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!

Calvingreen17.

Quote from: Dobby on January 23, 2014, 00:07
Take it all apart, connect each thing one by one :), but the main thing you'd need to POST it, is: motherboard, ram, PSU, CPU and whatever display you're using. Try this: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

I was googling and as far as I found, the main components to get a computer to POST is motherboard, cpu, ram, psu, and video. I dont know if these are true but I can swear that it's all I need. Unless I broke something while installing, then I'll commit suicide.

Older and wiser

Hobo

I also have a AMD Athlon II X4 760k which will not let you run your PC off of integrated graphics so I require a dedicated graphics card to get any video so I have no idea whether it actually worked or not.
If that CPU doesn't have any integrated graphics at all you won't be able to see the BIOS screen.   If fans and LEDs are working the computer is probably working fine. Your extra SATA and PCI-E cables going no where aren't an issue.

[tr]
[td]

[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]

[shadow=black,left]My PC Specs:
-AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
-EVGA RTX 3080
-ASUS Prime X470-Pro Motherboard
-CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB RAM
-ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD 960GB
-Seagate IronWolf Pro 8TB HDD
-Western Digital Blue 2TB HDD
-ADATA Ultimate SU800 2TB SDD x2
-ADATA Ultimate SU800 1TB SSD x2
-Corsair HX750 Professional PSU
-NZXT H440 white/black case
[/shadow]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Calvingreen17.

Quote from: Hobo on January 23, 2014, 00:46
I also have a AMD Athlon II X4 760k which will not let you run your PC off of integrated graphics so I require a dedicated graphics card to get any video so I have no idea whether it actually worked or not.
If that CPU doesn't have any integrated graphics at all you won't be able to see the BIOS screen.   If fans and LEDs are working the computer is probably working fine. Your extra SATA and PCI-E cables going no where aren't an issue.
Yeah man I agree. People on TomsHardware are saying that it's probably the noob mistake of forgetting to plug in the 4 pin CPU power connector but I did that (I dont know how I could forget but) so all I can do is wait til the rest of my parts come and see this angel spread her wings .

Too much

Older and wiser

Joshy

[comment]test[/comment]
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION
Generated using Azure Functions & CloudFlare Workers using the Convoy Trucking API. Updates every around 5 minutes. See the original SVG image. View source code (not updated with function yet)

Calvingreen17.

Quote from: Joshy on January 23, 2014, 09:36
Motherboard model?

It's a MSI A88XM-E35 Micro ATX board (even though I have an ATX case lol)

Older and wiser

Dr_dog

Did the processor have integrated graphic processor in it? As said above if it is missing that. Even though motherboard may have video out. It may not work if processor dosent have the graphic processor in them. Do you have any graphic card available to borrow from any machine? If do.. Try to put that and see if you get video. Does the motherboard have speaker on it or any kind LED diagnostics in it for errors?
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION

Vinny

Quote from: Spekter on December 13, 2016, 22:47
Quote from: Ethan on December 13, 2016, 22:31
why the fuck do you even bother breathing??
I bother breathing just so that i can tell you what a fucking moron you are, nothing more and nothing less.

Dobby

Quote from: Vinny on January 23, 2014, 17:40
What does POST mean ?

Power On Self Test

Its the thing it does when you turn it on basically

Calvingreen17.

Quote from: Dr_dog on January 23, 2014, 12:20
Did the processor have integrated graphic processor in it? As said above if it is missing that. Even though motherboard may have video out. It may not work if processor dosent have the graphic processor in them. Do you have any graphic card available to borrow from any machine? If do.. Try to put that and see if you get video. Does the motherboard have speaker on it or any kind LED diagnostics in it for errors?

No it doesn't have an integrated graphics processor in it. And sadly I dont have any other graphics cards to use, this is actually my first desktop PC in 5 years. And I did plug in a speaker on it and the LED button and stuff, the button is blue so I'm guessing that means all that's plugged in so far is good. I'm going to be ignorant and assume I did nothing wrong, and that the motherboard wont POST since it's missing a GPU, or else I might have plugged the speaker in the wrong socket but I know I didn't.

Older and wiser

Dr_dog

Bios wont output any sound through the external sound interfaces. There must be soldered a speaker to the motherboard or separate speaker connected to motherboard internally.

Hooray for random motherboard taken from pile of dead motherboards. This one diagnosed with burnt northbridge and leaking RAM related capacitors
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS