News:

Server address: server.convoytrucking.net
Get SA-MP 0.3.7 here: Click Here to download SA-MP 0.3.7

Main Menu

Audio Help pls

Started by Rockey, November 06, 2013, 14:36

Rockey

i use my xbox 360 on one of my pc screens however my monitor doesn't have speakers and i want to use my speakers from the pc.  So to do this i must unplug the audio jack from my pc and place it in the monitor which then makes the speakers work with the xbox sounds...

However this is a pain in my ass. I want to be able to have both pc and xbox plugged into the speakers and have sound work on both.. So i can watch netflix or youtube or anything and still play on my xbox with sounds.. hopefully that makes sense, if not, here is two diagrams to try explain it more.

So... Is this possible? also how? where from?.. willing to spend a bit of money to get it working but im not spending £2,000 on a studio quality audio switcher shit thingy.

TheSandman

To get both working at the same time, it wouldnt be easy. But if you had to chooe only one, without having to swap the cables each time, try a stereo system/whatever that has switchable channels/inputs.
25/8/11 - 4/10/15: 1502 days of continuous staff duty C:-)

Matias

You get less quality sound if you mix different outputs, i am telling you that because i have tried this already. You should have an amplifier somewhere between your splitter and your speakers.
But yes, your diagram is correct and you should try it, if you get low performance try getting an amplifier and also i think you need to have a pretty decent sound card.

Rockey

Getting this sound card at christmas
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A152RYG/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've currently ordered a few audio cables and a female to female adapter and a two way splitter so,

the audio jack coming out the speakers goes into the female to female which then goes into the splitter, which then has two audio cables leading to both devices.. i highly doubt that will work but only cost me like £2 so was worth testing it, Got any other solutions i could try?

Matias

It should work, what a splitter does is to provide you with a single output for 2 inputs, if you input 2 different signals (computer + xbox) you should be able to play xbox and listen the sounds from it, or play computer and listen the sound of it, you can't mix both signals or it will be a chaos, trust me xD

Rockey

Quote from: Foose on November 06, 2013, 14:51
It should work, what a splitter does it provide you with a single output for 2 inputs, if you input 2 different signals (computer + xbox) you should be able to play xbox and listen the sounds from it, or play computer and listen the sound of it, you can't mix both signals or it will be a chaos, trust me xD

its just a random one i found in my room.. thats why i needed the female to female adapter so the male end has the adapter then goes to the speakers, then the two splits go to cables to the xbox and pc. Surely this would work for using one or the other? and possibly even both with loss of quality?

Matias

Quote from: Rockey on November 06, 2013, 14:53
Quote from: Foose on November 06, 2013, 14:51
It should work, what a splitter does it provide you with a single output for 2 inputs, if you input 2 different signals (computer + xbox) you should be able to play xbox and listen the sounds from it, or play computer and listen the sound of it, you can't mix both signals or it will be a chaos, trust me xD

its just a random one i found in my room.. thats why i needed the female to female adapter so the male end has the adapter then goes to the speakers, then the two splits go to cables to the xbox and pc. Surely this would work for using one or the other? and possibly even both with loss of quality?

I didn't try this with a computer, but i tried it with my amplifiers using splitters and sometimes when you mix both signals you get a low signal, you dont loose quality but sometimes you loose volume, thats why another amplifier or using something that amplifiers the signal would be great but i think your speaker system will do that, you gotta test it, you can't be 100% sure of what i am telling you, if you dont try you will never know if it works.
And yes, i will loose volume, and some kind of tones because i have a guitar amp which is not meant for low frecuences signals.

Matias

Does your TV have an output? If so you can try use the splitters to make a single output which will go to your screen, then the output of it will go directly into the speakers system. Thats also a good combination.

Rockey

Here are my current speakers, they are a couple of years old, not sure how old though but the quality for music is amazing and gaming is good enough, i personally prefer them to my old turtle beaches. They cost a lot when my dad got them and they are sony so they are a good product

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-SRSD211-CEK-2-1-35W-Speakers/dp/B0007YQNVE

Quote from: Foose on November 06, 2013, 14:59
Does your TV have an output? If so you can try use the splitters to make a single output which will go to your screen, then the output of it will go directly into the speakers system. Thats also a good combination.

not sure about this, my tv is on the other side of the room on the wall anyway  ::)

Matias

Quote from: Rockey on November 06, 2013, 15:01
Here are my current speakers, they are a couple of years old, not sure how old though but the quality for music is amazing and gaming is good enough, i personally prefer them to my old turtle beaches. They cost a lot when my dad got them and they are sony so they are a good product

It looks like a pretty decent speakers, you should go ahead and try it, what will you loose anyways? A couple of euros but if it works you will be really happy :P

Rockey

Quote from: Foose on November 06, 2013, 15:13
Quote from: Rockey on November 06, 2013, 15:01

It looks like a pretty decent speakers, you should go ahead and try it, what will you loose anyways? A couple of euros but if it works you will be really happy :P

cables will be here in a couple of days and if it doesn't work i'll try again with the new sound card.. thanks for the help

Dr_dog

Or if you have computer on most of the time.. You could run the xbox's audio through your line in your sound card. and have 'Listen on this device' set on from the Line in properties This way it passes the sound through your PC which acts as a mixer-like device and output the xbox audio via computer and out from the PC's cables to the speakers..

Alternatively you could get a switch but that limits to have 1 input on 1 time. Or get a cheap stereo mixer.. Those are like 90€ or something.
I got myself in similar situation here. So i just went and bought a 8 chan mixer (PS3, HTPC, My PC, Vinyl deck [yes] and TV) Everything runs through the mixer and out to speakers.. Best is i can control the sound levels from it any time i need to
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION

Rockey

Quote from: Dr_dog on November 06, 2013, 17:59
Or if you have computer on most of the time.. You could run the xbox's audio through your line in your sound card. and have 'Listen on this device' set on from the Line in properties This way it passes the sound through your PC which acts as a mixer-like device and output the xbox audio via computer and out from the PC's cables to the speakers..

Alternatively you could get a switch but that limits to have 1 input on 1 time. Or get a cheap stereo mixer.. Those are like 90€ or something.
I got myself in similar situation here. So i just went and bought a 8 chan mixer (PS3, HTPC, My PC, Vinyl deck [yes] and TV) Everything runs through the mixer and out to speakers.. Best is i can control the sound levels from it any time i need to

i like the sound of running it through the soundcard when it comes i will try that..

Rockey

Got the cables today, the sound loss isn't too bad its the quality loss! the sounds are ruined especially for music.. How can i fix this? you mentioned an amplifier, i don't know anything about these besides guitar amps because my friends play guitar...

Can you recommend one? i want good quality sounds without spending too much money though because my sound card might solve this issue by using 'listen to this device'

srap that idea, my motherboard also has a line in, so i will use that.. quality seems good, better than cables i was using  :like:

Matias

I dont know any good amp besides guitar amps, i use them for playing my guitar. I dont know anything about amps that arent for guitars rockey :/