News:

Server address: server.convoytrucking.net
Get SA-MP 0.3.7 here: Click Here to download SA-MP 0.3.7

Main Menu

~

Started by Dr_Doom, September 08, 2013, 18:35

Dr_Doom

Hai. I'm in the process of building my PC and I need some advice from you all.

Parts I have:
- Coolermaster Haf 912
- Radeon HD 3870 ( I know its extremely old, but I got it for free so for the time being its my GPU )
- Western Digital 500 GB Caviar Green HDD
- AMD A6 6400K ( I'll upgrade within a month to a A8 when I sell my iPhone )
- No motherboard yet ( suggestions appreciated )
- 4GB's Crucial Ram
- LG Optical Drive

Now, my problem is the Power Supply. A friend of mine is offering to sell me a Brand New 400W PSU for $10.00 USD
Is it really worth it or should I just buy a more power Power Supply.
( I only have 150 USD left for the build )

Ethan

whats the minimum your motherbaord and everything else has to be.. if your montherboard needs 500w or something (im not a geek like some) then a $10 400w PSU aint gonna cut it.  BTW I bought my PSU for like $50 and its 450w (I think)

iDarkRain

Buy that PSU, is just $10, if it doesnt work just buy another

Dr_Doom

I want to buy it, but I don't want it to strain the system.

Dr_dog

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

A handy tool to see what kind wattages you need (if your hardware is on the list)
That 400W will do as long as you use that 3870.. If you upgrade to anything new.. you must get new PSU as modern graphic cards can eat even 200W (that is averige graphic card, not talking about GTX 690 or titans, or 7980 or any of the top models)
Quick look at psucalculator and its about 260W minium.. so the 400W is bit less than half of it's full potential. You always want to leave atleast about 20% of the PSU's wattage free so it will not be working at full load which ages the capacitors quicker meaning quicker failure
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION

Dr_Doom

Quote from: Dr_dog on September 08, 2013, 19:01
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

A handy tool to see what kind wattages you need (if your hardware is on the list)
That 400W will do as long as you use that 3870.. If you upgrade to anything new.. you must get new PSU as modern graphic cards can eat even 200W (that is averige graphic card, not talking about GTX 690 or titans, or 7980 or any of the top models)
Quick look at psucalculator and its about 260W minium.. so the 400W is bit less than half of it's full potential. You always want to leave atleast about 20% of the PSU's wattage free so it will not be working at full load which ages the capacitors quicker meaning quicker failure

Thanks for the information Hax. That'll save me $50
:)

bazingashane0

Before you buy the psu ask your friend what brand it is. Cause I wouldn't trust something that's 400w and that he could afford to sell off for $10 if its still brand new.

Quote from: mick88 on January 17, 2012, 08:10
You got your money for arrest, and he's out so you can arrest him again. You mad?

Dr_Doom

Quote from: Shane0 on September 09, 2013, 10:05
Before you buy the psu ask your friend what brand it is. Cause I wouldn't trust something that's 400w and that he could afford to sell off for $10 if its still brand new.

It's a Coolermaster Shane. I purchased it today. He even forgot to mention that it was a 480 Watt. He said 400...
Now all I need now is a Motherboard & CPU. Which should come later on in the week.. woot woot :)

bazingashane0

Quote from: Dr_Doom on September 09, 2013, 23:42

It's a Coolermaster Shane. I purchased it today. He even forgot to mention that it was a 480 Watt. He said 400...
Now all I need now is a Motherboard & CPU. Which should come later on in the week.. woot woot :)
Nice :)

Quote from: mick88 on January 17, 2012, 08:10
You got your money for arrest, and he's out so you can arrest him again. You mad?

Dr_Doom

Quote from: Shane0 on September 09, 2013, 23:50
Quote from: Dr_Doom on September 09, 2013, 23:42

Nice :)

Yea. I can't wait to get it finished.. I've just been sleeping and watching YouTube videos on my phone and tablet, time to get back to Ct:)