[How-To] Tint windows in ZModeler

Started by Rubber, June 29, 2013, 04:56

Rubber

If you have ever wanted to tint windows on a mod, this tutorial should explain how to do it.

1. To begin, import your mod and all textures. For this tutorial, I'm using this BMW mod. This is what the windows looked like before tinting. Notice how dull and grey they are.

2. Find the correct material for the windows. To find this material, select the window with the polygon editing levels tool and right-click on one of the glass polygons like this:

3.Click on 'Properties'. Expand the options as shown in the window below. In the material selection, note the name and remember it, you will need it in a minute. In this case, the material is 'glass[spec,trans]', but every mod is different.

4. Click on the Material Editor icon.
5. Find the material you just identified as the window material. Here it is on my mod:

6. Click the big white box under the Basic Parameters section in the material editor.
7. When the menu pops up, select black and press 'OK'

8. Click on the 'Alpha Parameters' to expand the options. You should see something like this:

9. Drag the 'Alpha Blending' slider to your liking. You can keep pressing the 'Assign to selection' button at the bottom of the menu to see updates. I like having the alpha at about 185. That makes the windows look like this (keep in mind I have more textures added to the paint and windows, so yours will probably look a bit different):

10. Once you have the settings you like, just click the 'OK' button and you are done. Feel free to play around with colors and alpha amount on the windows. It is a pretty simple texture mod, and should take no more than 5 minutes.

Xandee

can you give me the link of this texture chrome??

Rubber

Quote from: Xandee on August 01, 2013, 01:32
can you give me the link of this texture chrome??

They are attached below. The body_refmap is for the body and windows. The chromea is for chrome. I'm assuming you know how to use them.

Polaco

Nice @Rubber
P.S.,if you want anything more transparent or opaque,you should change alpha of glass too,since when:
White=100% opaque - 0% Transparent
Black=100% transparent - 0% opaque
then you can change the tones between various shades of gray, and thus change the level of transparency, since a time, even clear, alpha being gray, the glass becomes transparent, and the closer you are black, more remained transparent
and also you can change the level at Alpha Blending, where 0 is completely transparent and 255 completely opaque
"The wise man does not see a problem as a fool sees. He sees the problem as a way to gain more wisdom solving it"-Polaco
Want new Mods? Click here! - My SkyDrive folder.
Who is Polaco?

When a blonde see a Sting Ray...

Rubber

Quote from: Polaco on August 02, 2013, 01:15
Nice @Rubber
P.S.,if you want anything more transparent or opaque,you should change alpha of glass too,since when:
then you can change the tones between various shades of gray, and thus change the level of transparency, since a time, even clear, alpha being gray, the glass becomes transparent, and the closer you are black, more remained transparent
and also you can change the level at Alpha Blending, where 0 is completely transparent and 255 completely opaque

Yeah, you can change parameters to your liking. The parameters I covered in the tutorial provide the most realistic windows (in my opinion). If you make it more white, it looks funny. When was the last time you saw a white window?

Polaco

Quote from: Rubber on August 02, 2013, 03:59
Quote from: Polaco on August 02, 2013, 01:15
Nice @Rubber

Yeah, you can change parameters to your liking. The parameters I covered in the tutorial provide the most realistic windows (in my opinion). If you make it more white, it looks funny. When was the last time you saw a white window?
I saw a chrom insulfilm,like white
"The wise man does not see a problem as a fool sees. He sees the problem as a way to gain more wisdom solving it"-Polaco
Want new Mods? Click here! - My SkyDrive folder.
Who is Polaco?

When a blonde see a Sting Ray...