Epa & A tractors, allowed to drive in 15 age

Started by DeHavilland, January 09, 2013, 12:27

DeHavilland

I want to own one of these, they are allowed to drive in Sweden at 15 age, but in Finland it's not same as in Sweden. In Finland it's only allowed to have epa tractor build from an old Ford or Chevy (etc).

History

During World War II, a shortage of tractors in Sweden led to the development of the so-called "EPA" tractor (EPA was a chain of discount stores and it was often used to signify something lacking in quality). An EPA tractor was simply an automobile, truck or lorry, with the passenger space cut off behind the front seats, equipped with two gearboxes in a row. When done to an older car with a ladder frame, the result was not dissimilar to a tractor and could be used as one.

After the war it remained popular, now not as a farm vehicle, but as a way for young people without a driver's license to own something similar to a car. Since it was legally seen as a tractor, it could be driven from 16 years of age and only required a tractor license. Eventually, the legal loophole was closed and no new EPA tractors were allowed to be made, but the remaining ones were still legal, which led to inflated prices and many protests from people who preferred EPA tractors to ordinary cars.
In March 1975, a similar type of vehicle was introduced in Sweden, the A tractor [from arbetstraktor (work tractor)]; the main difference is an A tractor has a top speed of 30 km/h. This is usually done by fitting two gearboxes in a row and not using one of them. The Volvo Duett was, for a long time, the primary choice for conversion to an EPA or A tractor, but since supplies have dried up, other cars have been used, in most cases another Volvo.

- Wikipedia

Pictures

Sweden
Epa:

You are also allowed to drive truck but they should go 30kph as other ones, but with trailer you need to have truck license

a tractor: almost same as Epa but mostly made to pickup looking

Finland

Videos from Sweden:

The biggest meeting for epa and a tractors, Check out that pickup who is burning!

the most hilarious ones I know!

Epa tractor build from a truck
[hide=Our Renault Dauphine]
80's

90's

2014 with new team colour

[/hide]

DJ_Smashon

It's like a car only slower...  :'(

Even if a normal tractor is almost the same it's only slower(some of them,some are faster(60kph)) but a tractor is more "bumpier", bigger and takes more fuel.
A.K.A NaftaTorque
Old ID=9149

Costel

DeHavilland

Quote from: DJ_Smashon on January 09, 2013, 17:27
It's like a car only slower...  :'(

Even if a normal tractor is almost the same it's only slower(some of them,some are faster(60kph)) but a tractor is more "bumpier", bigger and takes more fuel.
Indeed
80's

90's

[/hide]

zimon

I know the owner of this one :D it's a close friend of mine :D and yes I have had a ride in it.  :D :D

Quote from: The_Hobo on August 08, 2012, 17:04
Oh, and nice Justin Beiber haircut.
[hide=Picture][/hide]
God bless America

Supra

One thing is for sure, If I were swedish, I would have an EPA, no doubt!

This is a huge thing I admire about Sweden..

DeHavilland

Quote from: Supra on January 10, 2013, 16:38
One thing is for sure, If I were swedish, I would have an EPA, no doubt!

This is a huge thing I admire about Sweden..
Same here.
80's

90's

[/hide]