News:

Server address: server.convoytrucking.net
Get SA-MP 0.3.7 here: Click Here to download SA-MP 0.3.7

Main Menu

SSD as bootdrive

Started by Antangin_JRG, May 02, 2012, 16:02

Antangin_JRG

yesterday my fileserver has just fucked up, i wake up this morning to check the file transfer progress , but when i turn on the monitor, it's displaying a motherboard version, BIOS version, and bla bla bla before the bootscreen come up. I think i want to upgrade my fileserver, it has a small space, i'm going to buy 2 SATA controller(2+1 ports), buy 4 500gb HDD and use raid-5.
Currently there's 1 drive (320gb) attached on the server, i think it's too big for the boot drive. I see a kingston SSDnow 30gb, and i think i'll  buy that for the boot drive, but i'm not sure if it's suitable for a boot drive, how do ya think about it?  >:D

Dr_dog

fuck that SSD, they aint made for server use. it has limited writes so it should be read-only. And you can do the same with 16GB USB stick in your server's ass. just smack some ubuntu with lamp, samba FTP etc. or then get freenas. 16GB is probably overkill for freenas. 2-4 GB is enough for freenas
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION

Antangin_JRG

Quote from: Dr_dog on May 02, 2012, 16:29
fuck that SSD, they aint made for server use. it has limited writes so it should be read-only. And you can do the same with 16GB USB stick in your server's ass. just smack some ubuntu with lamp, samba FTP etc. or then get freenas. 16GB is probably overkill for freenas. 2-4 GB is enough for freenas

hmmm... i think i'll stay on windows, but, the server is not 24/7 running, it's still possible to have SSD, OR if i use a USB stick, it will not blow up?

Dr_dog

Quote from: TheDumbledore on May 03, 2012, 08:53
hmmm... i think i'll stay on windows, but, the server is not 24/7 running, it's still possible to have SSD, OR if i use a USB stick, it will not blow up?
eewww windows as server OS? hogs up 1/3 of all resources available. I wouldnt still go for SSD, remember, if you run it as fileserver. You dont need fast drive for OS as it will be loaded in RAM most of the time of the whole life of the server. just use that old drive for boot drive and some mandatory programs you wish to use. What i would do is put money on RAM and processor not SSDs
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION

Antangin_JRG

Quote from: Dr_dog on May 03, 2012, 14:49
Quote from: TheDumbledore on May 03, 2012, 08:53
eewww windows as server OS? hogs up 1/3 of all resources available. I wouldnt still go for SSD, remember, if you run it as fileserver. You dont need fast drive for OS as it will be loaded in RAM most of the time of the whole life of the server. just use that old drive for boot drive and some mandatory programs you wish to use. What i would do is put money on RAM and processor not SSDs
hmmm... i think ill use ubuntu, but i think... 320gb is way to big for it...

Dr_dog

USB STICKS! Just get a 4 or 8GB usb stick, install ubuntu to that and make it so that it will save configs to it too. Then boot off USB always or buy a 80GB sata/IDE drive. They are only 30€ here
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION

Antangin_JRG

hmmm... my server cant boot from USB stick, i think ill try to power up my 80gb HDD again... it say primary master fail bla bla bla....

Dr_dog

is the jumpers set correctly?
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION

Antangin_JRG

Quote from: Dr_dog on May 05, 2012, 12:00
is the jumpers set correctly?
yes it is, but it runs as an external

Dr_dog

how you mean it runs external? its external hard drive connected with USB? and you said your mobo dont support USB booting up. So it wont work with USB hard drives either
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION

Antangin_JRG

Quote from: Dr_dog on May 05, 2012, 16:58
how you mean it runs external? its external hard drive connected with USB? and you said your mobo dont support USB booting up. So it wont work with USB hard drives either
sss.... its unpowered now, but i'll try power it up as primary, + currently, it CAN run as EXTERNAL :D

Dr_dog

rip it off from the casing and stick it inside your server and set it as master
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL