Largest solar storm in five years to hit Earth Thursday

Started by Xero, March 08, 2012, 13:14

Xero

Updated: Thu Mar. 08 2012 7:18:09 AM

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — After hurtling through space for almost two days, the largest solar storm in five years is due to slam into Earth early today.

Scientists say the massive cloud of charged particles could disrupt utility grids, airline flights, satellite networks and GPS services, especially in northern areas.

The storm started with a massive solar flare early in the week, has been growing as it races outward from the sun, expanding like a giant soap bubble.

When it strikes early today, the particles will be moving at roughly 6.4 million kilometres per hour.

Astronomers say the sun has been relatively quiet for some time, and this storm, while strong, may seem fiercer because Earth has been lulled by years of weak solar activity.

The storm, which is part of the sun's normal 11-year cycle, was expected to arrive here between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. Eastern Time and the effects could linger through tomorrow morning.

The storm is also expected to create more noticeable auroras or Northern Lights, which will peak this evening in North America and could dip as far south as the Great Lakes or lower.

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120308/largest-solar-storm-in-years-to-hit-earth-120308/20120308/?hub=MontrealHome

DJ_Smashon

A.K.A NaftaTorque
Old ID=9149

mrtrlt

Phew. Good thing im on the other side of the world xP

Good luck Peoplez :)

Rubber

should be a good show, cant wait till tonight...

Nate

This means i might be able to see the Northern Lights in New Jersey :o That's incredible!
New (newer) laptop specs[spoiler]Laptop: Acer Aspire v3-571g-6602
Cpu: i5 2450M 2.5 GHz (3.1 GHz Boost)
Gpu: Nvidia GT 630m 2gb
Ram: 8gb dual channel DDR3 1600mhz
HDD: 500gb
[/spoiler]

RaceRX

say whaa? Shit better not come near my house :l
playing since 2010, moderator for over a year demoted for being an ass to an asshole then banned for speed hack then returned for awhile then dipped out

Nice

Strato

Dr_dog

what i heard from my wife (shes working at hospital) all the electric access card doors etc were in lockup because of something messed up the card readers. I think theres something magnetic shit going on it or something
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION

Ethan

well its a solar flare coming towards earth and basically anything magnetic possibly wont work and it could interfere with GPS, phones those kind of devices that need  or use sattalite communication... even airports are re-routing to hopefully not have any interference with it.

Clutch

2012 is bullshit,
Offtopic : The Mayans calendar didn't have leap year on it. so that means 12/21/12 was supposed to happen 7 months ago.  :fuckyeah:
Futhermore, if it wasnt for leap years, we'd be in July 2013.

OnTopic: Meh, not a big deal.
Quote from: turtle.the.ripper on January 16, 2013, 16:25
I'd really LOVE to live in 'Merika .

I will for sure do the Romanian-American University after i finish my highschool and probabilly apply for a job there, but we gonna see what time decides .
Quote from: turtle.the.ripper on January 16, 2013, 21:34
i am 'merikan .

Dan_Nobleman

The solar flare provides a ESP pulse, fucking with all kinds of electrical signals, thank Linus I'm all wired in.

And Jedi, 12/21/12 isn't going to happen because of leap year. It would've already happened. Plus god won't save people because he doesn't exist.
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION

badboi787

Sadly, In london (Not to be confused with London Ontario) we wont get to see the Northern Lights. But it is really cloudy in the night over here though.

And if you don't know what a Solar Flare is, it's basically this (Can't be asked to explain on what is a solar flare):

Google+||Steam||Facebook||Youtube
Goodbye DeHavilland, you will be greatly missed by me and all of the CT community.
I am from North London. (England)
Quote from: Zeljko ConvoyMi no saying money and nickname and ip NO my ist may Frend say money NO MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY unban me pls ist no nickname and IP may Frend ist nickname and IP

Joshy

I'll check my GPS & magnetic field sensor (compass to you) on my phone now. No aurora borealis though (it's cloudy too, and I wanted to see the full moon).

EDIT: Magnetic field (uT)/decl. 28/48/-2degrees - usually around 45 normally? GPS did totally lose lock once but that might have been something else. When I put my phone next to a metal object, the mag field fluctuates to 8/48/-2degrees.
[comment]test[/comment]
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION
Generated using Azure Functions & CloudFlare Workers using the Convoy Trucking API. Updates every around 5 minutes. See the original SVG image. View source code (not updated with function yet)

Viper

lucky me i live half way around the world so it not my problem sooooo

good luck guys okay be safe :D
[SAP]Egert: viper and Boy arent brothers right?
DeHavilland: Nope
DeHavilland: Boy is from NL and Viper is from AUS

We aren't brothers, we just act like them.

droctogonapus

╭━━━━━━━━━╮╭┓┈┈┏╮
┃┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┃┃╰╮╭╯┃(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Fuck Tables.
┃┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┃╰━┓┏━╯ 
┃┈┈┈┈┈-●┈┈┈╰━━╯┃
┣━━━━━━╯┈┈┈┈┈┈┃
╰━━━━━━━━━━━━━╯
Its a whale.  Computer Specs[spoiler]
Video card: Asus AMD R9 270 + Gigabyte GeForce GT 620 1 GB (Physx Card)
CPU: AMD FX 6300
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black 7200rpm
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus
PSU: Corsair Professional Series HX650 Modular Power Supply
Memory: Amd Radeon Entertainment Series 16GB DDR3 1600 CL9[/spoiler]