[Weekly] Discuss a topic

Started by helloWorld, January 17, 2012, 01:03

Joshy

Personally I think discussing a certain topic, or debating it is a nice thing to do, as well as it improves your English skills and your general knowledge.

Rules:
- you may post twice per day.
- use correct English, this includes spelling and grammar. Any posts containing "l33tspeak" or any slang similar to this will be deleted.
- use evidence to back up your points.
- be mature. If I find any post to be immature about a particular subject, I will remove it and possibly warn you if it is offensive.

How to:
1) read the topic.
2) decide if you're going against it or not.
3) post in favor of your opinion.

[highlight=#fff]This week [17-23 Jan]: This house believes that today's youth is getting worse.[/highlight]

I'll start off.

I believe that today's youth is falling apart because the meaning of romantic relationships has diminished. Statistics show that the average American teen first has sex at 17, and does not get married until their mid-20s. By their 19th birthday, 7 out of 10 would have had sex. 22% of teenagers say that their first experience at sex was with a person who they just met, or barely know. This trend is becoming more and more common in today's society and even has its own name, which is the "one night stand".
Source: http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/FB-ATSRH.html
[comment]test[/comment]
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION
Generated using Azure Functions & CloudFlare Workers using the Convoy Trucking API. Updates every around 5 minutes. See the original SVG image. View source code (not updated with function yet)

CrazyCamionero

In my opinion, it's a very good article, and very controversial topic, which makes it even more interesting to discuss.

I don't think that the today's youth is getting worse. What I think is getting worse, is the education that they receive. At that age (from 14 to 18/20), the kids are learning about this thing called "life". The good things, the bad ones. Everything. But this responsability ("teach" about life) is unique to parents. We cannot blame the youth for the lack of education. And this applies to sexual education too.

Unfortunately, for many parents, sex is a taboo. That means, lots of young people learning about sex from everywhere they can. I don't know what happens in the rest of the world, but here in Argentina, sexual education it's not included as a subject in school (mid or high). It's only depends on the family.

Let's see some numbers:
In Argentina, per 1000 women from 15 to 19 years old, 67 are pregnant (2009) [hide=]http://unstats.un.org/unsd/demographic/products/dyb/dyb2009-2010/Table10.pdf[/hide]

1% of people (male and female) between 15 and 25 years old, has HIV/AIDS
[hide=]http://apps.who.int/globalatlas/predefinedReports/EFS2008/full/EFS2008_AR.pdf[/hide]

I know this post is not about STDs or pregnancy, but I think this numbers are needed to understand how the lack of education affects young people.

Other (of many) reason about these worse youth is how underestimated "love" is. Over the last years, the mass media used the meaning of love in vain. They treated love and romanticism as it was a mere commodity exchange, which has meant a loss of significance.
Of course, we can not forget what I said in the the previous paragraphs: The lack of education from parents.

To sumarize in a few words: Is not the youth who is getting worse over the time, It's the education that these young people (not) recived

Ps. I hope you understand what I meant. It's very difficult thing write an idea in English, when you are thinking about it in Spanish. :D

UnlimiteD

I found this and is intresting
[hide=The ages peoples can gave sex legally]http://www.avert.org/age-of-consent.htm[/hide]
The you have to reach to have sex in some countries.
For example in Vatican :O is 12 years old