Police Duty Clarification

Started by ThomasKirkman, August 27, 2011, 20:02

ThomasKirkman

In obtained my Police Badge here a few days ago. Since then, I have been told by "Admins" of certain errors in my performance. Upon checking, I found that they might be the ones in error.

1. Police Idling - I was parked along the road observing traffic and writing tickets, doing weight checks and such along with another Motor Officer. We were both kicked for idling while doing our jobs.

Police rules:
1) Police must obey all server rules excluding ramming when they are dealing with a suspect. They can ram suspect vehicle/trailer but must not ram or block any other players/vehicles
2) Police must not abuse their rights. They must do their job or reclass to another class. No joyriding or racing as a cop to avoid fines is allowed and will lead to police badge being revoked. Also idling as a cop is not allowed.

http://www.forum.convoytrucking.net/index.php/topic,5288.0.html

"Camping police sits by the road or unloading point, waiting for players. If a player passes, he will be fined/arrested/weighted by the said cop.
Idling police is someone who walks away from the computer, ALT-TABs or simply doesn't sustain any activity in-game and doesn't react to wanted players running free in server."

We were camping, not idling which is allowed from what I read here.

2. Citations - I have been issuing citations, waiting until they are paid withing the 60 seconds and then leaving. I was told by an admin last night that I was to cite, and leave. I have found nothing that says that I am to leave a person who has NOT paid their fines as soon as I have cited them. And that makes no sense.

http://www.forum.convoytrucking.net/index.php?topic=13.0

"Collecting fines:Players who have speeding tickets will be displayed on your minimap as orange markers. In order to collect money, you need to drive up to player with a police car or police bike and press your submission key (default 2). If player doesn't /pay his fines in 60 seconds, he will become a suspect. You must not ram or block player even if he refuses to pay ticket. If player is AFK, he won't become wanted until he comes back."

To me, this means, cite, collect fines and leave.

3. Ramming - I hear this all the time and see it. "Stupid cop rammed me." What I see and experience most often is this. We cite a trucker who instead of pulling over and stopping when being advised he has tickets will keep hauling arss and then suddenly locks his brakes up stopping in just a few feet. The police cruiser/bike that CAN NOT stop in that short a distance slams into the rear end of the truck. Also, in some instances there is some lag involved. In order for police to activate the (submission key) they need to be fairly close to the person they intent so cite/weigh. So if we come up behind you and you hit the brakes and we slam into the back of the truck, give us a break. Not all ramming is intentional, most likely it is a combination of speed and game dynamics.

4. Wrong Way Tickets - This is really annoying. If a police officer is performing his duties, why do they get tickets for driving on the wrong side while truckers don't?

5. Baiting of Police - This happens all too often. People with cars that are clearly much faster than Police cars, baiting officers into pursuits. Is it legal? Yes. Is it really all that fair? Well, that is a matter of opinion. Police don't have interceptors. All they have is the Maverick. But all the Maverick can do is arrest. It can't cite.

The problem is that if I don't attempt to pursue the suspect I am not doing my job. My solution thus far is to pursue until it is clearly a baiting job, then discontinue the pursuit. If I can't catch you, there is no need for me to race all over the map with no chance of catching up to you, let alone arresting you.

6. Killing yourself to avoid capture - This has become a real sore spot for me. You chase a suspect around the map. You match him move for move and when it is clear that he isn't going to get away, he drives into a gas pump killing himself. It is my opinion that if that occurs, then capture has been achieved and the pursuing officer should get the fines and capture fee. And the next time the person logs in, they should be required to serve their time.
Thank you for the help in understanding this.
ThomasKirkman

Joshy

Quote from: TKirkman on August 27, 2011, 20:02
1. Police Idling - I was parked along the road observing traffic and writing tickets, doing weight checks and such along with another Motor Officer. We were both kicked for idling while doing our jobs.

2. Citations - I have been issuing citations, waiting until they are paid withing the 60 seconds and then leaving. I was told by an admin last night that I was to cite, and leave. I have found nothing that says that I am to leave a person who has NOT paid their fines as soon as I have cited them. And that makes no sense.

To me, this means, cite, collect fines and leave.

3. Ramming - I hear this all the time and see it. "Stupid cop rammed me." What I see and experience most often is this. We cite a trucker who instead of pulling over and stopping when being advised he has tickets will keep hauling arss and then suddenly locks his brakes up stopping in just a few feet. The police cruiser/bike that CAN NOT stop in that short a distance slams into the rear end of the truck. Also, in some instances there is some lag involved. In order for police to activate the (submission key) they need to be fairly close to the person they intent so cite/weigh. So if we come up behind you and you hit the brakes and we slam into the back of the truck, give us a break. Not all ramming is intentional, most likely it is a combination of speed and game dynamics.

4. Wrong Way Tickets - This is really annoying. If a police officer is performing his duties, why do they get tickets for driving on the wrong side while truckers don't?

5. Baiting of Police - This happens all too often. People with cars that are clearly much faster than Police cars, baiting officers into pursuits. Is it legal? Yes. Is it really all that fair? Well, that is a matter of opinion. Police don't have interceptors. All they have is the Maverick. But all the Maverick can do is arrest. It can't cite.

The problem is that if I don't attempt to pursue the suspect I am not doing my job. My solution thus far is to pursue until it is clearly a baiting job, then discontinue the pursuit. If I can't catch you, there is no need for me to race all over the map with no chance of catching up to you, let alone arresting you.

6. Killing yourself to avoid capture - This has become a real sore spot for me. You chase a suspect around the map. You match him move for move and when it is clear that he isn't going to get away, he drives into a gas pump killing himself. It is my opinion that if that occurs, then capture has been achieved and the pursuing officer should get the fines and capture fee. And the next time the person logs in, they should be required to serve their time.

Thank you for the help in understanding this.
ThomasKirkman
1. If you were truly camping, doing your cop duty, you shouldn't have been kicked. However admins may sometimes mistake if you are joyriding (just riding around doing nothing).
2. In the old cop test (from a few months back), the rule in the cop test was 'fine and drive away'. However now it's 'follow and fine', which means you are free to follow a fined player, in case he doesn't /pay aslong as you don't ram or block the fined player in any way. But of course some people (more veteran players) haven't done the newer cop test.
3. Just ignore people like that, or if you want, report for insulting / disrespecting if it's that bad. If you can't trust the person you are weighing / fining just go behind them but go offset to the left or the right, or once you've fined / asked to weigh slow down immediately in case.
4. You are not allowed to go on the wrong side of the road as a cop unless you're in a situation where a suspect is on the wrong side of the road, and it's urgent to drive on the wrong side of the road.
5. Infernus and Bullet I hope you mean. Well sooner or later, they'll run out of fuel or crash, just try to stay behind them and find the right moment. Or go in CB 9 (cop CB) and team up so you'll have roadblocks (allow innocent players to go past) interceptors etc. Even try planning ahead by checking on the map and guessing the future direction of the person. Don't forget you can use your own cars (not helis planes boats etc) to catch suspects.
6. Got to agree there.

By the way, I think what you mean by cite and citation is 'ticket'.
[comment]test[/comment]
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION
Generated using Azure Functions & CloudFlare Workers using the Convoy Trucking API. Updates every around 5 minutes. See the original SVG image. View source code (not updated with function yet)

R16RACA

Quote1. Police Idling - I was parked along the road observing traffic and writing tickets, doing weight checks and such along with another Motor Officer. We were both kicked for idling while doing our jobs.[/size]

this is exactly why Camping should not be allowed

Quote3. Ramming - I hear this all the time and see it. "Stupid cop rammed me." What I see and experience most often is this. We cite a trucker who instead of pulling over and stopping when being advised he has tickets will keep hauling arss and then suddenly locks his brakes up stopping in just a few feet. The police cruiser/bike that CAN NOT stop in that short a distance slams into the rear end of the truck. Also, in some instances there is some lag involved. In order for police to activate the (submission key) they need to be fairly close to the person they intent so cite/weigh. So if we come up behind you and you hit the brakes and we slam into the back of the truck, give us a break. Not all ramming is intentional, most likely it is a combination of speed and game dynamics.

This is why it is it was fine and leave, not follow. It prevents truckers from doing this.
[hide=when smokey tried to eat me]
Quote[15:00:41] <Rahail> R16 smoky wants you!
[15:00:58] <R16RACA> ahhh!
[15:01:15] <Rahail> the fuck 530kph on FREway
[/hide]
[hide=Konali summing me up]
Quote from: KonaliR16 u where maybe a quiet guy, but you are one of the smartest persons i have seen here and i never saw u gettin in trouble. U are a role model for alot players that cant behave and i will really really miss you.
[/hide]
[hide=quotes from Mick]
Quote from: Mick88*Mick88 announced: Fuuuuuu!
Quote from: Mick88"fuck off" is merely a kind request
Quote from: mick88
New theme is so sexy I want to make love to it
[/hide]
[hide=why ELM is not allowed here]It is not allowed as it is a mod that can be seen by other truckers, who might not want to look at flashing lights all the time. This is why only non laggy mods that only you can see are allowed.[/hide]

Joshy

Quote from: R16RACA on August 28, 2011, 05:13
Quote3. Ramming - I hear this all the time and see it. "Stupid cop rammed me." What I see and experience most often is this. We cite a trucker who instead of pulling over and stopping when being advised he has tickets will keep hauling arss and then suddenly locks his brakes up stopping in just a few feet. The police cruiser/bike that CAN NOT stop in that short a distance slams into the rear end of the truck. Also, in some instances there is some lag involved. In order for police to activate the (submission key) they need to be fairly close to the person they intent so cite/weigh. So if we come up behind you and you hit the brakes and we slam into the back of the truck, give us a break. Not all ramming is intentional, most likely it is a combination of speed and game dynamics.

This is why it is fine and leave, not follow
2. In the old cop test (from a few months back), the rule in the cop test was 'fine and drive away'. However now it's 'follow and fine', which means you are free to follow a fined player, in case he doesn't /pay aslong as you don't ram or block the fined player in any way. But of course some people (more veteran players) haven't done the newer cop test.

[comment]test[/comment]
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION
Generated using Azure Functions & CloudFlare Workers using the Convoy Trucking API. Updates every around 5 minutes. See the original SVG image. View source code (not updated with function yet)

ThomasKirkman

R16RACA, I don't understand what you are saying about camping.  It shouldn't be allowed because we issue tickets and weigh?  That is what we do.  That is our job. 
Are you saying that because it allows us to do our jobs without running all over the map, it is wrong?  In that case maybe making the trucks wait 30 minutes to load would be in order too.

Camping is a real life fact.  Many places encourage officers to do just that to save on fuel costs.  Officer presence in itself is a deterrent to crime.

ThomasKirkman

Nitrochegs

Quote1. Police Idling - I was parked along the road observing traffic and writing tickets, doing weight checks and such along with another Motor Officer. We were both kicked for idling while doing our jobs.

Camping should be kept allowed. As Kirkman said, cops do it in real life, don't like it? Go to Truckmania and complain there.
The only reason why people are complaining is because they speed and don't want to /pay, they just want to come up with stuff to make life as a cop on CVT harder. As Mick said, cops need to make money too, and they make more money by camping in high traffic areas, I guess, same as truckers, they want to get to the destinations faster, so they take shortcuts and take roadtrain.

Its called being smart, and being smart shouldn't be disallowed. You would make less money running all around the map issuing tickets and weighing then staying in a high traffic area. Also useful to catch oncoming wanted players. As I always say "Think smart, not hard"

<3

R16RACA

Quote from: Nitrochegs on August 28, 2011, 06:26

Quote1. Police Idling - I was parked along the road observing traffic and writing tickets, doing weight checks and such along with another Motor Officer. We were both kicked for idling while doing our jobs.

Camping should be kept allowed. As Kirkman said, cops do it in real life, don't like it? Go to Truckmania and complain there.
The only reason why people are complaining is because they speed and don't want to /pay, they just want to come up with stuff to make life as a cop on CVT harder. As Mick said, cops need to make money too, and they make more money by camping in high traffic areas, I guess, same as truckers, they want to get to the destinations faster, so they take shortcuts and take roadtrain.

Its called being smart, and being smart shouldn't be disallowed. You would make less money running all around the map issuing tickets and weighing then staying in a high traffic area. Also useful to catch oncoming wanted players. As I always say "Think smart, not hard"

:ukiddn: :fuckthat:

you clearly don't speak or understand English. Camping shouldn't be allowed as it stops any confusion over idling.

And next time don't try and make up quotes from mick, cause i started the topic to allow or disallow it.  :gtfo:
[/hide]
Quote from: KonaliR16 u where maybe a quiet guy, but you are one of the smartest persons i have seen here and i never saw u gettin in trouble. U are a role model for alot players that cant behave and i will really really miss you.
[/hide]
[hide=quotes from Mick]
[/hide]
[hide=why ELM is not allowed here]It is not allowed as it is a mod that can be seen by other truckers, who might not want to look at flashing lights all the time. This is why only non laggy mods that only you can see are allowed.[/hide]

ThomasKirkman

I posted the link to where I got it.  Nothing made up about that.

ThomasKirkman

PS.
How could I make up a quote from Mick if I cut and paste it from your post?
It is a direct quote and the link I got it from is posted as well.  As for English, try this.
I did this in RL for a living.  So I have a fair idea as to what law enforcement officers
do.  I asked for Clarification and Joshua has been kind enough to do just that.  I am
doing my job properly.

R16RACA

Quote from: TKirkman on August 28, 2011, 08:16
I posted the link to where I got it.  Nothing made up about that.

ThomasKirkman

/FACEPALM 

The quote isn't yours, the comment was addressed at Nitrochegs (thats why he is quoted in my post)
[/hide]
[/hide]
[hide=quotes from Mick]
[/hide]

Joshy

Actually camping and idling do have a rather bold line against eachother.

Camping:
    • they are fining, weighing and arresting oncoming players.
    Idling:
    • they pause, ALT+TAB or don't sustain activity while not doing any method of cop duty.

Leave camping cops be, end of the day you see police in RL camping, whether it's an ANPR team, traffic cops waiting for a wanted person or police on the side of the road checking people's driving.
[comment]test[/comment]
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION

Nitrochegs

Quote from: R16RACA on August 28, 2011, 08:00

:ukiddn: :fuckthat:

you clearly don't speak or understand English. Camping shouldn't be allowed as it stops any confusion over idling.

And next time don't try and make up quotes from mick, cause i started the topic to allow or disallow it.  :gtfo:

Making up quotes from mick? WTF?

Want me to give you the link? I didn't make up the quote, so stfu, don't make any accusations just because a debate is starting. Shows that you are being immature.

Why the hell would you think I don't understand english? I am just saying that it should be kept allowed and I explain why, that means I don't understand english?

I know you're gonna be smart and say, "wheres the link then?" well here you go: http://www.forum.convoytrucking.net/index.php/topic,10407.msg52609.html#msg52609
I didn't want to search for it just for a quick comment so there you go. And don't complain to me about him saying "police" instead of "cops" its the same thing.

Got anything else? Read Joshy's post above me also, he explains what idling is, camping is totally different, how can it be confused? Just because they are stopped that means they are idling? The person who gave the warning/kick should've at least confirmed he was idling without coming to a quick conclusion, but hey theres a lot of players so you can't blame 'em.

Just saying.

<3

R16RACA

QuoteWhy the hell would you think I don't understand english? I am just saying that it should be kept allowed and I explain why, that means I don't understand english?

because you quoted me and then started arguing a completely different point... last time i checked, you rebut the point made

QuoteI know you're gonna be smart and say, "wheres the link then?" well here you go: http://www.forum.convoytrucking.net/index.php/topic,10407.msg52609.html#msg52609]I didn't want to search for it just for a quick comment so there you go. And don't complain to me about him saying "police" instead of "cops" its the same thing.

oh thats weird, i thought this topic was about camping... not raising the speed limit.....
Lemme change my statement: And next time don't try and make up quotes change change quotes context from mick, cause i started the topic to allow or disallow it.  :gtfo:
and heres a link to the the ACTUAL topic: my topic history doesn't go back far enough... so i'll post a link to the closest topic i can find by me http://www.forum.convoytrucking.net/index.php/topic,5288.msg27006.html#msg27006  :closeenough:

QuoteShows that you are being immature.
says the one who is flaming

QuoteJust because they are stopped that means they are idling
It dam well used to. And it still bloody well should
[/hide]
[/hide]
[hide=quotes from Mick]
[/hide]

Vegemite[AUS]

Quote from: R16RACA on August 28, 2011, 08:00

Maybe you didnt read ,

Idle is where you walk away from the computer, GO AFK
Camping is where you wait for someone with a fine to go past.. You pull them over and give them a ticket dont like it leave the server dude
[/center]

mrtrlt

Quote from: Joshua on August 28, 2011, 15:49
Actually camping and idling do have a rather bold line against eachother.

Camping:
    • they are fining, weighing and arresting oncoming players.
    Idling:
    • they pause, ALT+TAB or don't sustain activity while not doing any method of cop duty.

Leave camping cops be, end of the day you see police in RL camping, whether it's an ANPR team, traffic cops waiting for a wanted person or police on the side of the road checking people's driving.

Ok, why doesn't mick make it so that when you ALT+TAB it automatically makes you go (AFK). The system could be similar to the wanted thing instead of [player_id] stop moving - [player_id] goes 10-7 (AFK). This system would mean that admins would know if a player was paused.. Aka not paying attention to whether trucks with fines pass. And if they wern't paused it would be more likely that they were camping. Anyone Agree?

In my opinion camping should be disallowed anyway, it would very easily sort out this problem. And don't use the excuse "it saves fuel" because in CT, cops don't pay for fuel. I would maybe re-consider if cops did have to pay for fuel.

ThomasKirkman

Because "Camping" is still doing the police duties.  Just maybe not how YOU want them done.  I can sit at the LV/LS intersection and issue tickets and weigh all day long.  AND I can sit in Bone County and do the same.  OR, I can drive all over the map and ticket the exact same people, the exact same way.  I just depends on how you want to do it.  But then if you don't spend hardly any time classed as a cop, what does it matter to you HOW we do our jobs as long as the get done and get done fairly?

Idling as a cop and Camping as a cop are not the same and it is time they were left alone.  I am putting together a more comprehensive list of police duties, and this is how I listed Idling.  It is Micks definition and some common sense information.

"Police are not allowed to "Idle".  An "Idling" police officer is someone who walks away from the computer, ALT-TABs or simply doesn't sustain any activity in-game and doesn't react to wanted players running free in the server.
However, in the event that you need to go AFK (Away From Keyboard), find a spot that is out of the main line of traffic and put yourself 10-7 Out of Service.  This is done by opening the chat window, and entering the CB Code "/7".  That will show you out of service.  If you will be gone for more than 5 minutes, please log off and then log back in when you return."

ThomasKirkman