News:

Server address: server.convoytrucking.net
Get SA-MP 0.3.7 here: Click Here to download SA-MP 0.3.7

Main Menu

I need GPU buying tips....

Started by Benny, July 19, 2015, 22:35

Benny

So im looking of buying a new GPU wich is the EVGA GTX 960.  But i want to ask you, if anyone has any experience or knowledge about this.
I'm not sure if i should get the 4GB or the 2GB version and if i should rather get the SSC edition or the FTW edition.. i looked at some videos and asked some friends already but im still not 100% sure..

Please help :)
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
DISTANCE TRAVELLED

Dobby

Do you find yourself running out of VRAM? What is your current card? 4GB VRAM seems to be coming more common in high end games (GTA V for example)

Judging by EVGA's data sheets, the FTW edition outperforms the rest source.

Quote from: mick88 on May 24, 2015, 21:39
FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!

Joshy

In the UK at least, you can buy a AMD Radeon R9 280/285/380 for roughly the same price as a GTX 960. Consider them.
[comment]test[/comment]
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION
Generated using Azure Functions & CloudFlare Workers using the Convoy Trucking API. Updates every around 5 minutes. See the original SVG image. View source code (not updated with function yet)

Benny

Quote from: Dobby on July 19, 2015, 22:47
Do you find yourself running out of VRAM? What is your current card? 4GB VRAM seems to be coming more common in high end games (GTA V for example)

Well currently i have a 1GB gpu, the radeon hd 7770... but can't run all games on high obviously... lots of people been telling me to get the 4GB version in case to be "futureproof" .. i have been looking for the SuperSC 4GB card, the FTW version is 30€ more expensive and all you get is a bit more base/boost clock, and for that money i could get a better CPU cooler as well, wich i also need..

Quote from: Joshy on July 19, 2015, 23:18
In the UK at least, you can buy a AMD Radeon R9 280/285/380 for roughly the same price as a GTX 960. Consider them.
I've been looking at the R9 380 yes but the problem here is the PSU, i only have a 450W PSU and therefore i chose the GTX 960 wich needs only 120W or a minimum of a 400W PSU.
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
DISTANCE TRAVELLED

Joshy

Quote from: Benny on July 19, 2015, 23:24
Quote from: Dobby on July 19, 2015, 22:47

Well currently i have a 1GB gpu, the radeon hd 7770... but can't run all games on high obviously... lots of people been telling me to get the 4GB version in case to be "futureproof" .. i have been looking for the SuperSC 4GB card, the FTW version is 30€ more expensive and all you get is a bit more base/boost clock, and for that money i could get a better CPU cooler as well, wich i also need..

I've been looking at the R9 380 yes but the problem here is the PSU, i only have a 450W PSU and therefore i chose the GTX 960 wich needs only 120W or a minimum of a 400W PSU.
Well if you intend on keeping this graphics card for at least 2 years I'd get the 4GB model for futureproofing seeing as GTA V uses ~2.5GB VRAM on my R9 280.

And yeah, AMD isn't good for power consumption :\ I'm running my R9 280 and i5-4670k, both overclocked, on a 500W PSU though. It's probably not recommended but it works (I think)
[comment]test[/comment]
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION
Generated using Azure Functions & CloudFlare Workers using the Convoy Trucking API. Updates every around 5 minutes. See the original SVG image. View source code (not updated with function yet)

Benny

I will keep it for 2 probably even 3 years yes.
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
DISTANCE TRAVELLED

Hobo

The AMD GPUs listed are slightly better than the 960 for the same price.  :like:
Quote from: Benny on July 19, 2015, 23:24
You could run a R9 380 with that PSU but you'd be pushing its limits depending on your other specs. Get the 4GB version of the 960. Only get OC versions of the cards if you can afford it. You'd be better off getting the stock version and getting a new CPU cooler.

[tr]
[td]

[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]

[shadow=black,left]My PC Specs:
-AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
-EVGA RTX 3080
-ASUS Prime X470-Pro Motherboard
-CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB RAM
-ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD 960GB
-Seagate IronWolf Pro 8TB HDD
-Western Digital Blue 2TB HDD
-ADATA Ultimate SU800 2TB SDD x2
-ADATA Ultimate SU800 1TB SSD x2
-Corsair HX750 Professional PSU
-NZXT H440 white/black case
[/shadow]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Ethan

Step one: buy what you can afford
Step two: refer to step one

Benny

I don't want to push the limit on the PSU.. i don't think it would run my i5 4690 with an R9 380...
I have the money, the EVGA GTX 960 4GB has the same price as the R9 380 4GB but as i said i don't want to push it on the PSU..
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS