For US Players only: College help

Started by Calvingreen17., August 23, 2013, 21:31

Calvingreen17.

Alright. This is for players from the United States only.

I dont know if ALL of you know, but I am from South Carolina. I'm in the 10th grade now but I want to plan ahead, cause I've made dumb decisions regarding college.

For starters, I felt Stanford University or MIT were the perfect colleges for a guy who wanted to get a degree in Computer Engineering. but I got advice about out of state / in state tuition and they varied a lot (out of state being SUPER expensive of course). After hearing this advice from my wise sister (who will be in the Marines sometime this month), I agreed, I was stupid to think I could pay the expensive fees of Stanford (Estimated 58k from research I did) or MIT (59-60k). So I need some advice for colleges. Should I maybe just stick in state? Or move to nearby states? (maybe north Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee). Give me a list of some good colleges for Computer Engineering (I did research but there are so many, some from my city too. They boast they're good but I know the colleges from my city are shit)

All help is appreciated

Older and wiser

Hobo

I'm going to Hofstra University, tuition is 50k / year (includes housing). I got a 12k scholarship so it's down to 38k / year.
You should be able to talk to your school counselor/adviser and they can give you some schools that you could look into. If the problem is money, another thing you could do is go to a community college for a year or two then transfer to a state college/university. Albeit not as fun, it'll save you money.
I didn't really give any thought into what school I wanted to go to until halfway through junior year. We used a site called Naviance to help us look at different schools. I don't know if your school uses that or not.

You'll also want a safety school (One you know you'll get into), mine was UMaine.

Stay in state if you need to for money, but not too close to home. Unfortunately I don't know many schools down there though  :-\ I was looking for schools near me.

Hopefully I was of some use.

[tr]
[td]

[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]

[shadow=black,left]My PC Specs:
-AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
-EVGA RTX 3080
-ASUS Prime X470-Pro Motherboard
-CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB RAM
-ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD 960GB
-Seagate IronWolf Pro 8TB HDD
-Western Digital Blue 2TB HDD
-ADATA Ultimate SU800 2TB SDD x2
-ADATA Ultimate SU800 1TB SSD x2
-Corsair HX750 Professional PSU
-NZXT H440 white/black case
[/shadow]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Calvingreen17.

Yeah thanks. I'll think about the community college thing, I stumbled across a few today.

Older and wiser

Rubber

I would stick with in state if you can. Imo, it isnt worth it to pay a ton more to go out of state. Also, private universities are good. They are a bit more, but tuition is generally constant through your 4 years. If you went to a state university, tuition spikes. Here, a state university tuition went up 15% in one year!

Rubber

Quote from: Calvingreen17. on August 23, 2013, 22:14
Yeah thanks. I'll think about the community college thing, I stumbled across a few today.

Just saw this after I posted...community college makes a huge difference. You could also just take winter and summer classes at a community college near your home, while going to big boy university during fall and spring semesters. Usually, community college courses are about a third of the cost...usually easier too  :P

Hobo

Quote from: Rubber on August 23, 2013, 22:20
Quote from: Calvingreen17. on August 23, 2013, 22:14

Just saw this after I posted...community college makes a huge difference. You could also just take winter and summer classes at a community college near your home, while going to big boy university during fall and spring semesters. Usually, community college courses are about a third of the cost...usually easier too  :P
Also, just make sure that whatever college you want to go to will accept the credits from whatever community college you may go to.

[tr]
[td]

[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]

[shadow=black,left]My PC Specs:
-AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
-EVGA RTX 3080
-ASUS Prime X470-Pro Motherboard
-CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB RAM
-ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD 960GB
-Seagate IronWolf Pro 8TB HDD