Account Security Concept

Started by Nate, June 24, 2012, 04:56

Nate

Hello everyone not sure if what i am going to suggest here is possible or not but i thought i would just throw the idea out there and see what everyone thinks.

Problem: Many people do not use account security because they use 2 computers

My Concept: what if we had an option to enable account security for a max of 2 computers so that everyone will be protected against people hacking accounts. I'm not quite sure how we would confirm a valid computer so that's where you guys come in. Post a reply below! This idea just popped inside my head after i heard the bad news of Cal's account being hacked. (To admins: if there's a rule against referencing that incident in my post please just remove that part instead of locking/deleting entire post :) )
New (newer) laptop specs[spoiler]Laptop: Acer Aspire v3-571g-6602
Cpu: i5 2450M 2.5 GHz (3.1 GHz Boost)
Gpu: Nvidia GT 630m 2gb
Ram: 8gb dual channel DDR3 1600mhz
HDD: 500gb
[/spoiler]

Joshy

It is certainly possible and a good idea.

But I think there should be a 'extended account security', which checks ISP / IP range and country in addition to the current system.

I also think the account security system should be a 'opt-out' system, not 'opt-in', since many people don't even know it exists. If they need to use 2+ PCs, just ask the user to opt-out on forum.
[comment]test[/comment]
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION
Generated using Azure Functions & CloudFlare Workers using the Convoy Trucking API. Updates every around 5 minutes. See the original SVG image. View source code (not updated with function yet)

R16RACA

for the idea +1
[hide=when smokey tried to eat me]
Quote[15:00:41] <Rahail> R16 smoky wants you!
[15:00:58] <R16RACA> ahhh!
[15:01:15] <Rahail> the fuck 530kph on FREway
[/hide]
[hide=Konali summing me up]
Quote from: KonaliR16 u where maybe a quiet guy, but you are one of the smartest persons i have seen here and i never saw u gettin in trouble. U are a role model for alot players that cant behave and i will really really miss you.
[/hide]
[hide=quotes from Mick]
Quote from: Mick88*Mick88 announced: Fuuuuuu!
Quote from: Mick88"fuck off" is merely a kind request
Quote from: mick88
New theme is so sexy I want to make love to it
[/hide]
[hide=why ELM is not allowed here]It is not allowed as it is a mod that can be seen by other truckers, who might not want to look at flashing lights all the time. This is why only non laggy mods that only you can see are allowed.[/hide]

Matias

Nice idea +1
i have 2 computers but i only use 1 for gta because the other one sucks :P

Dan_Nobleman

Account Security doesn't exactly do much in the terms of preventing anything.

I have never been a staff member, I never plan too, and the whole system hasn't been described to me, but with the current information that I know about this system, it has done nothing in the terms of stopping me from logging in posed as a "hacker".

The Statistics (The information provided should be assumed as common checkpoints for account security)
I have switched ISPs during the time I had Account Security,
I have switched computers at least 2 times during the the I had Account Security,
My account has never been investigated as a possible candidate for an account breach, even after the aforementioned events had happened.

This suggestion doesn't really do anything since I've never encountered an issue with it. -1

But for Josh's idea for account security to be an 'Opt-Out' not 'Opt-In' is a good idea.
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
MISSIONS FAILED
OVERLOADED
FINES PAID
TOTAL SPENT ON FUEL
INTEREST EARNED
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
TIME IN JAIL
LAST MISSION

TheSandman

Quote from: Dan_Nobleman on June 24, 2012, 07:03

I have never been a staff member, I never plan too, and the whole system hasn't been described to me, but with the current information that I know about this system, it has done nothing in the terms of stopping me from logging in posed as a "hacker".
It does, normal players do not need to know anything more than it locks your account to your PC.
If i went and told someone who hated you, how to bypass the Acc Secc system they could do it, because i told them details. I wont, because it works. :O
25/8/11 - 4/10/15: 1502 days of continuous staff duty C:-)

The_Spinner

Mr.Kangaroo

Quote from: TheSandman on June 24, 2012, 07:11

It does, normal players do not need to know anything more than it locks your account to your PC.
If i went and told someone who hated you, how to bypass the Acc Secc system they could do it, because i told them details. I wont, because it works. :O
**thats your cue to start telling me details!** xDDD
Gold iPhone 5S - Silver iPad Air

Tyler

Quote from: alexgarbz on June 24, 2012, 13:51
Quote from: TheSandman on June 24, 2012, 07:11

**thats your cue to start telling me details!** xDDD

xDDD

Are you suggesting, When a player registers, His accout security is auto-enabled? If so i aggree would be better. Just send a message to the player "Your account is locked to this computer. If you need to use another computer request to disable it on forums bla bla bla.."

+1333337

[23:19:46] (CB:16) Fish: thats going in my sig

Benny

+1 i think i will soon buy a laptop :P
LAST SEEN
TOTAL TIME ON SERVER
SCORE
TRUCK LOADS
CONVOY SCORE
ACHIEVEMENTS
ARTIC
DUMPER
VAN
FUEL
CEMENT
ARRESTS
CARS STOLEN
COACH
PLANE
HELICOPTER
TOW TRUCK
LIMO
TRASH
ARMORED VAN
BURGLARIES
ARMORED VANS STOLEN
DISTANCE TRAVELLED

F4LL

mick88

Account security should not be needed at all. I am not using it and nobody has even broken into my account despite it being supposedly the most luring of the accounts.

Instead, players should make their passwords more secure, be aware of keyloggers and most importantly, not use the same password in other servers. Most servers don't encrypt passwords, and their owners have your password and username saved in plain text, which they can use in other servers. Some players lure their "friends" to their servers to get their passwords, it's pretty common.